Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bush/Gore: Who would you vote? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bush/Gore: Who would you vote?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I guess we should just want people to work for free. That way the owner gets to keep everything! Yeah!!

Let's look at the numbers...

According to the Department of Labor, in 1999 10.1 million people hourly workers made between $5.15 and $6.14 and hour.

69% of those workers were adults (20 and over)
60% women
45% full-time
33% were partents of children under 18

The current minimum wage is 5.15 hr.

So for those 45% who work full time, before taxes they would make a grand:

$41.20 a day
$206 a week
$10,712 a year

My that's lavish.

Now, let's say that we lived in Los Angeles...

You need shelter. Go find an appartment, if you could one in a an area where you didn't get robbed, killed, raped, whatever in LA for:

$500 a month = $6000 a year

You gots to have food, so you eat light, say $50 a week = $2,600

You have to drive your car into the dynamic wealth producing areas, cause you sure as heck can't live there...say $20 a week on gas...that comes to $1040.

Ok, we're already at $9640 of your before taxes $10,712.

You don't have a computer (too expensive, so you can't learn new skills easily), you have no uplifting entertainment (too expensive, so you watch Springer on the TV...that learns ya real well), you don't go to school (too expensive and too little time after working 40 hours a week...and your second job cause you had to pay for new tires on you car that blew out on the road), I hope you have car insurance in California, very bad if you don't...

Meanwhile the dynamic wealth producing Americans, who have to have someone's back to break to do the labor are what, yachting?

You bet the minimum wage is a point against the Republicrats, they should be fighting for a Living Wage.

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited August 21, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let this be a lesson to all...don't live in LA!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"And on a wholly unrelated note, I went to high school with Fidel Castro. So there." - Simon Sizer

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:::waggles finger at Frank::: OR Connecticut...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or New York City. Or any city for that matter.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"And on a wholly unrelated note, I went to high school with Fidel Castro. So there." - Simon Sizer

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*really really really wishes more Americans knew of the Jean Poutine incident*

In short, it could perhaps be the ultimate demonstration of Dubya's raw stupidity caught on videotape. It was so bloody funny my English teacher taped it and showed it to our class.

My vote would be with Gore. Bush is a conservative whose decisions are driven by ideology and special interests groups alone. On the other hand, Gore, stick up ass and all, does have a brain and does exercise it in making his decisions.

And he can open his eyes when he speaks, which is a plus.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opening your eyes when you speak does you no good if there's nothing behind them.

What you may mistakenly think about Bush's lack of intelligence is your problem. His ideas work. Gore's don't. And Gore lies about it, on top of that.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Glad to see that knowledge of trivia is the most important aspect of a presidential candidate these days...

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I can see the Party Line already starting to stack up...

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Apparently, everthing, including the size and location of the president's penis, everything he has ever done in his past, and everything that the future first lady might have ever done in her past...it's all far game ladies and gentlefolk. And you can thank the Clinton haters for it. Bless 'em.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it amusing that Jay did nothing to counter my assertion that minimum wage increases do no good, unless you consider eliminating entry-level jobs good. Your numbers are meaningless. How many families are supported on a single, minimum wage job for any length of time? The vast majority of these jobs are held by people who are either just entering the work force, or people looking for a little extra cash. You make it seem like there are people who are starving because the mean old Republicans won't raise the minimum wage. This is a gross misrepresentation, and that's putting it nicely.

"Gee, I guess we should just want people to work for free. That way the owner gets to keep everything! Yeah!!"

Well, this is going to consign this thread to the fires of... oh, you know, that forum below this one? But frankly, I don't care. It was on its way there, anyway, and I will not stand for someone twisting my words, especially when it's based on nothing more than liberal lies told when trying to demonize the Republican party.

*ahem*

I never said this. I never said anything like this. I never even remotely indicated that I might believe this, at least not in the eyes of any rational person. If you think I or ANYONE else believes this, Jay, then you are a complete imbecile.

"...it's all far game ladies and gentlefolk. And you can thank the Clinton haters for it."

Again, you are a blithering imbecile, Jay. The only thing that conservatives have conserned themselves with in this campaign are the things that matter: character and issues. What Gore may or may not have done in the past is irrelevant, short of criminal activity, or anything that calls his stance on issues or his character into question. It's you liberals that want to dig up every little thing that someone may have done. I challenge you to give me ONE example. Just ONE.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited August 21, 2000).]

Amadeus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra Magnus, that was a very inappropriate comment. I belong to no political party and therefore should not come under any attack like that. Try becoming more humble for once, it might do you some good.

------------------
Creator of Project Phoenix
[email protected]

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: Knowing the name of the leader of your nation's largest trading partner is not trivia, it's a basic requirement.

I'm sorry, but he's an idiot. Need we bring up Dubya's SAT scores?
------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited August 21, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"Knowing the name of the leader of your nation's largest trading partner is not trivia, it's a basic requirement."

Is it? I mean, sure, it's useful to know, but I wouldn't say it's a key issue until Canada does something to bring itself to attention.

"I'm sorry, but he's an idiot. Need we bring up Dubya's SAT scores?"

IIRC, they weren't spectacular, but certainly above average. Then again, mine were higher. Should I be a presidential candidate too?

In the meantime, I think this is Flameboard material.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps