Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Running out of gas

Author Topic: Running out of gas
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A blockade of several petrol refineries began last week here in the UK. And yesterday, everyone panicked, resulting in half hour waits to get petrol. By Tuesday afternoon, pretty much 90% of the petrol stations in the south-east of England had shut. I managed to find somewhere tucked away, but many people haven't.

Basically, business are running out of diesal for their trucks. Some have shut already. People who rely on their cars to travel are buggered. By Wednesday afternoon, taxi's are expected to be virtually gone in London. Some trains are running reduced service (those that use diesel obviously).

It's a fun, fun situation. And it's happened because a few people aren't happy that we pay almost �8 for a litre of unleaded petrol. Or, almost 4 US dollars per galleon (if I've translated right).

It worked in France last week, and their prices were lower than ours to start with.

Tony Balir was adamant he wasn't budging. Their have been reports that the police (or army) might be sent in to move the protestors. I'll believe that when I see it. They've been completely non-violent so far, and have allowed emergency supplies through. The refineries seem to be voluntarily holding back.

It doesn't really bother me. I'm not desperate for petrol yet, and I can get a train in to work (I'll have changed my mind next week, when I need to get to Liverpool though ). I do wonder how it will play out. I can't see something like this happening in the US, due to it's sheer size. But in a piddling little country like this, well, next they'll be boycotting cows udders until milk goes down in price...

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bad situation all around, Liam.

But you just KNOW that this is going to turn into a Flameboard thread. I can taste the gasoline.

Look, a joke! Ha ha, I am so witty.

Where did everybody go?

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said in the other topic on the UK's crisis: This isn't the best way to win the people's support.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its got less to do with geographic size and more to do with access to oil. The US has more. FAR more. If it gets that bad over there, they'll be up in arms as well. Count on it. Australia is heading down that road, but things are still affordable, if a tad unreasonable. We're at about 96c per litre. Or in a conversion to US terms: (USD) $1.94 per gallon. Dunno how the yanks are doing.

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's around $1.70 for the 93 octane, $1.60 for midgrade, and $1.50 for 87. All US$, per gallon, of course. When these people will wise up and use the metric system, I don't know. Maybe physics should be mandatory. Not that that would help...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. My geology department INSISTS(with US Geologic Studies) that 64% of known oil exists in the Middle East, whereas the US has only 10%, and that the problem with oil is not production but consumption.

Can I get some true numbers here? I know for a fact that the US imported only 15% of its oil back in 1993. Now its up to what, 75%? Not sure.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the '70's the US had the same sort of crisis, when the Middle East cut back on how much fuel they were sending over. I remember seeing pictures of cars lined up for a mile or so to refuel.

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're using up all the oil in every other country so that when it runs out, we can be the only supplier and charge huge amounts for it. We're the Columbian Cartel of gasoline!

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps