Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Multivitamin/Muiltmineral supplements - Potential Risk?

Author Topic: Multivitamin/Muiltmineral supplements - Potential Risk?
Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading the labels of a vitamin bottle and noticed a ton of "100%"s on the back. Then on the OJ carton it says 120% of vitamin C, and on the carrot bag it says 350% of Vitamin A.

Basically, I take a vitamin in the morning, drink about 3 servings of OJ a day, and I love those itty bitty carrots. Is there a risk of ODing on vitamins?

Thanks for any input/answers!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone here at college says he used to take so much Vitamin C that he reacts badly to significant amounts of it today. Then again, there's also someone here who drinks orange juice with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I now believe I have found a doorway between the two realities. I can cross back and forth at will. I'm not sure what this means, but I intend to explore alternate Earths until I start to suck a lot and get canceled." - Simon Sizer

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it is, too much of a good thing is bad for you. Too much of anything is bad for you, for that matter.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, too much Vit C can kill you.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) is different from many vitamins in that it isn't retained in the body for long, so it doesn't accumulate in the body. As far as I know, there aren't any terrible side-effects caused by large quantities of vitamin C, not in the quantities Sunspot is talking about in any case. Nobel prize winning chemist/biochemist Linus Pauling used to swear by it. I wouldn't worry about going over 300-400%, indeed doses this high are necessary for prompt effects if you have a cold, but it is my opinion that vitamin tablets are nowhere near as good as a balanced diet; whenever I've taken multivitamin/multimineral supplements I've found no real benefit, if anything I turn paler, so I've basically given up taking them on a regular basis.

(Of course, many people in your part of the world don't
seem to know what a balanced diet *is*...)

------------------
"Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
In your head"
Bigmouth Strikes Again- The Smiths

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited September 25, 2000).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotten into the little carrots myself. I don't think you have much to worry about, Sunspot.

------------------
Sailing the Slipstream

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As it is, too much of a good thing is bad for you. Too much of anything is bad for you, for that matter.

Everything in moderation; love, wine, and food goes the Plato quote.

'At's at the appex of my philosophy as well.

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited September 29, 2000).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Too much of anything is a bad thing."

Even sex? No, that can't be! lol.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much sex I can believe...

Too much drugs, obviously...

But too much rock and roll? Not gonna happen...

------------------
"If the rope is a quarter of a Zeuslength in size, then the Defiant shalt most naturally be seven times the thirty-second part of a Zeuslength?"
-Boris Skrbic, 27-Sep-2000

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps