Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » CD-R Woes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CD-R Woes
SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I purchased a CD-R Drive to free up more space on my two hard drives. Upon burning to a CD for the first time, my computer locked up; and now the program, "Easy CD Creator," tells me the disk cannot be written to anymore (since the write was interrupted). Foolish me for not running the pre-write test.

Does anyone know of any sort of CD-R repair/fix utilities? I've been searching around, but I haven't been able to find any.

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to ovewrite a CD-R? You can't. You need a CD-RW. Once you screw up a CD-R, you have to start over.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other words, your CD-R is now a coaster

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is glad brand new computer has a CD-RW drive now*

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, heh. I guess we learn from mistakes. I better find a place I can buy them cheap, though.

------------------

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a CD-RW... Its an LG 32-8-4 and it rocks. I've had 0 errors from the many disks I've burned so far. I love it! Sometimes I just burn stuff at random cuz I enjoy it so much.

I recommend getting Imation or Memorex CDRs. They're cheap and good quality. Kodak and Maxell have been pretty crappy for me.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, once a CD-R has been written to, that's it. The file allocation table is written first, so the informatation on the CD-R cannot be changed. If it's gone wrong, well, you've just discovered why the alternative name for buggered up CD-R's is "coaster".

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my brother has been burning CD's for a few months now, with mixed results.

He buys blanks by the case, finances permitting.

You never have to search for a place to put down your drink at his house.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have to get some cd-rw disks and start burning, hehe.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the golden 'Plextor CD writer/Nero 5.0/Philips Silver Premium CD-Rs' combo No problems at all.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. *And*, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!

- Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Phillips CD-RW drive, with CeQuadrat burning software. I'm hoping to get Adaptek from a friend. I used to use Verbatim disks (CD-Rs and CD-RWs) for a while because my brother got them from his work. But I recently aquired a 10 pack of 80 min/700 MB Cursor CDs and 5 Memorex regular CDs. I have made a few coasters, though.

------------------
-Jonah Rapp

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philips Silver Premiums are the best I've had so far. You can fill a 74 minute CD with 76 minutes of data without any problems. Nero doesn't even ask me to overburn until I go above 76 minutes.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. *And*, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Er, data is measured in MB, not minutes. Audio is measured in minutes. That's why you can have about 18 average length songs in audio format on a CD but 130 average length songs in data format.

------------------
-Jonah Rapp

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I know that. I should have said 'worth of' or something. Anyway, you can put some on one of those than the standard maximum.

------------------

SCSImperium
Member # 397

I found out what the problem was (HD Fragmentation), now things are running smoothly. The CD-RW was a gift, an Iomega ZipCD USB. The thing is not the fatest (about 30 minutes to burn 650MB), but gets the job done. So far I've cleaned up several gigabytes. These things are much nicer than zips.

I'm using Fujifilm Disks, which I've had a good history with in the past when I was using magnetic media. I've also downloaded Nero, which seems to be superior to the Adaptec programs that were bundled with the drive.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited September 29, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps