Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it... oh Crap. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it... oh Crap.
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, The City of Buffalo is in a state of emergency. All businesses and functions are closed. There is a ban on driving in and around the city. We recieved 25 inches of snow over the past 14 hours. Many people are stranded, at school and at local businesses.

Now, this sounds great, lots of fun, and really cool especially for a guy who LOVES snow.

On the contrary. I am stuck in Buffalo. Tomorrow I go home for Thanksgiving Vacation, but alas the roads might very well be closed tomorrow as well. I want to go home, spend time with the family, and get away from here!!!

I am currently rethinking my love for snow.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too sum it up in a general opinion, especially for we that suffer from 'lake effect' snow....

Winter sucks. Although here we only have a very light dusting of the white crap.

Jeff, go buy a snowmobile, or rent one, then road closers be damned...

------------------
**...****...**

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleh! Snow sucks! We've had the white stuff on the ground here for almost two weeks. And I just about lost my LUNCH when I found out how much a decent set of snow tires will cost for my car... gah! There will be none this year.... I'll tough it.

~LOA

------------------
"The purple elephants have conquered my pants! Weasels to the rescue!!!" ~TSN, Oct. 23, 2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been snowing in the Spokane area? Hmm. It's cold here. Cold enough for snow, I guess. But no moisture.

This concludes our discussion of central Washington weather patterns.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snow doesn't suck... Well, too much snow does. Those of you who haven't experienced 24 inch blizzards more than 8 times in your life, would hardly understand. Its like having a taste for wine. You have to have experience it over and over to appreciate it.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like wine AND snow. Alas, Stockholm hasn't had good, four-month-lasting snow (nov-feb) for five years. I'm going to a place outside Bude this christmas, not that they'll have any, but at least it'll be a change of scenery.

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One temp sign I drove by today read 81...and no, you can't move to LA!

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ESKIMOS......have well over 250 different words for snow. There's light snow, heavy snow, powder snow, snow that's been compacted down, snow with an ice frosting on it, snow that the huskies have pissed in, et cetera.

I have, in my spare time, been attempting to construct a sentence which--when completed--shall read, "Look at all this fucking snow." However, I have hit an impasse of many years, for due to the stumbling blocks of cultural idiom & the specific constructs of the various Inuit dialects, I have thus far only succeeded to the point where said sentence proclaims, "See the snow. It fornicates."

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, snow ...

We had some flurries through Baltimore last night, passing cold front. Nothing much amounted from it except a handful of (thankfully) minor accidents.

See, this is why I own a Jeep ...

Time to pack my winter boots for my trip to Connecticut. Maybe I'll see the snow -- I'll be in Northern PA and South/Eastern New York for a bit, so who knows?

Well, off to TU to register before I leave ...

=)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why.

North, South, East, and West of Toronto gets smacked with large amounts of snow.

But never Toronto itself. Except two years ago.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Its called Lake Effect Snow, something that doesn't happen in most parts of the world. After North Eastern US gets hit with a snowstorm, the Lake Effect Snow hits us as well. Because the Great Lakes are warm and moist at this time, when that moisture hits land, it rises then cools, and it precipitates. Lots of moisture means lots of snow.

And Since Toronto is at the beginning of a lake, and not at the end of one(like Buffalo), they don't get the blizzards we do.

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, I just heard the National Guard was called out in buffalo..... Bumm deal man......

------------------
**...****...**

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha. We had a giant snowstorm here last year. But that was nothing compared to the snow they had in Moncton one year... There were snowdrifts bigger than houses!

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I just passed through Southern New York, on my way from Scranton, PA to Prospect, CT.

It was *snowing* in PA and NY. Not major, but some of it was sticking, and it's made a mess out of my Jeep, I imagine. I was actually surprised to find no (or, very little) snow on the ground here in CT, but, oh well!)

JeffR, I heard on the radio that Buffalo had been dug out by this morning. This mean you get to go home for lots of food?

Ick. My uncle's dog is snoring.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Actually, I am out! I found a few clear roads, however the university roads were all ice... Seriously. If I drove to fast I would have been in a ditch.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps