Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Font problem

Author Topic: Font problem
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since this computer got reformatted I've gotten this annoying message when trying to install fonts.

quote:
Unable to install the font
Windows cannot install xyz (TrueType)font. There may be too many fonts installed, or the font file may be damaged.

Uninstall some fonts before installing new ones, or check with your font vendor about obtaining a new file.

So I tried the obvious solution and deleted about 10 lame fonts. I was finally able to install 1 font before I got the same message again. My dad's computer has always constantly have one thing or another fucked up. But can anyone help? I don't want to wait till I get my own computer, a Dell, before I can get back to doing some web design stuff.

PS: One other thing, I can't get that sample file that says "The quick brown fox..." when I double-click a font. The computer makes that loading sound like it's doing something, but nothing happens.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited November 23, 2000).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I installed my 501st font on this Gateway I started having font problems, so I had 5 directories of 500 fonts, and not another font error.
Then I weeded them out to the 500 I liked the best, and haven't added another.

------------------
**...****...**

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean a new directory?

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a pain in the ass process... but if you want a lot of fonts....

organize your fonts in to groups of whatever number your system is comfortable dealing with, mine has a 500 error, why I don't know.

I then made several directoies, er folders to you young ones, and placed my fonts in those. As I wanted a differnet font I would uninstall one that I wasn't using, and install the one I was. Depending on design project I would move install entire directories.

This was my way, and most definately not the best I imagine, but it worked. You may also want to try a font manager. I've never used one so I couldn't tell you crap about one.

------------------
**...****...**

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bitstream Font Navigator is a really cool program that comes with Corel Draw 8 where you put all your fonts in a folder (outside the windows font folder) and then preview them and install as needed.

It can also keep notes for you about which font you used for what graphic/site/etc, which makes it really handy.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps