Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 'Squissmass, innit? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'Squissmass, innit?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Otherwise we will have to kill him.

Nimrod: Congratualtions for doing a half-way decent impression of a cockney accent. The "innit" was spot on. I am confused however, as to what the "besti" bit refers to. Please enlighten me. Awright?

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't supposed to be cockney, more of a hindi accent. "Besti" seems to be used by asian youths to describe cool stuff.
I heard it on a hindi comedy-show, "Goodness Gracious me".
Actually, I'm coming to Camden around new-years so it'll be nice to 'ear yor 'am sandwich for a wile.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard this story of a nurse in a hospital had a British woman approach her. It was in the cafeteria and the British lady had a pie. She asked the nurse, "Would you eat this up for me, dearie? I need to go visit my son-in-law upstairs." The nurse was suprised but took the pie into the kitchen of the cafeteria, and shared it with her friends. When she came back out, the British lady was back and asked, "Is that pie 'ot enough yet?"

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod old chap, excellent show that. Just don't say Asian when you refer to Indians, it tends to send americans into the East Asian mindset. We Indians take a deep and particular exception to that. Its got something to do with being lumped into a cultural paradgim that is nothing like our own. But anyhoo

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited December 14, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. At uni here (in Liverpool) the "Asians" are referred to, by and large, as Asian, even by each other. And they all do medicine too. Curious.

Personally, I do it because I don't want to offend someone by getting their culture wrong, and "Asian" is a good catch all. Although I suppose it's a bit like Yanks calling us all "Europeans". Anyway, I shall continue working.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you're from Europe. You are Europeans. Indians are from Asia, so they're Asian. That's how these sorts of things work, y'know... :-)

------------------
"It's like LSD refined into HTML form."
-Simon Sizer, regarding superbad.com, 12-Dec-2000

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Besti' is a word used in several Asian languages (including mine), and it means 'shame'. For example, if shame was brought upon anyone, it would be 'besti'.

------------------
I just can't be bothered to come up with anything right now....Try next time

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the Asians in my college are doing medicine too.

And not the "West Indian father came over in the 60s" Asians, I mean full-blodded and reared Malaysians, Pakistanis and Indians. They all get really expensive grants to cmoe over here and study medicine.

Not that I'm begrudging them the money, mind! They're very hard workers, and God have mercy on their souls for choosing medicine.

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspected someone might get it wrong. I just guessed the "hindi"-part would eliminate all doubts. I understand your reluctance to be generalized.

Asian Dub Foundation helped me get rid of some prejudice, they're right cool.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...! And here I thought "doing medicine" was some sort of unfamiliar slang referring to certain illicit substances...

------------------
"It's like LSD refined into HTML form."
-Simon Sizer, regarding superbad.com, 12-Dec-2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

No. That's reserved for spoilt little daddies girls who manage to get a �700 mobile phone bill in 3 months. And who keep my awake until 5 in the morning with their constant noises and giggling. Damn them all!

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was being ironic. Fortunately I have Liam to tell everyone so.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps