Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Getting to the Centre... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting to the Centre...
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... of a Tootsie Pop, by Elim Garak.

Spring and Summer 1998

My first try was based on a quick lick system at an average temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. This took approximately 379 licks, plus/minus 10.

My next try was with a cherry-flavoured pop. (The first was cherry as well.) This took 312 (+/- 10) licks at more humid conditions, same temperature.

Another cherry pop, at 35 Celsius, clear day, bright sun: ~260.

A pop immersed in cranberry juice and then licked took ~336 licks at 17 Celsius in my home, controled climate. This was, again, a cherry pop. At 24 degrees Celsius, the same fashion of pop took eleven licks more.

I also discovered that by waiting longer between licks, my margin of error increased as I became more famished, licking in larger, less even strokes. Factor this in with my margin of error.

Remember, these are cherry tootsie pops in the Northern Hemisphere during spring and summer of last year.

Other stats:

Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A., raining, 25 Celsius, fall: ~349
Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, hazy, humid, 31 Celsius, spring: ~316
Concord, New Hampshire, U.S.A., snowing, -12 Celsius, winter: ~385

Yes, I know. Too much time on my hands...

Any other stats out there?

*corrects a few number typos*

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on May 10, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, man! It only takes three.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROTFLMHO* Oh my....if only this university student had so much time on her hands *L* That does however sound like a good experiment to perform for a research project or something *L* quite controlled, with all the temps taken into account and all...

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was serious about the 328 in the other thread. I don't recall the conditions, though. It was a while ago, back when I had free time.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"[Steve Jobs] shouts at his employees a lot, using language you can't use on TV, not even on UPN." - Andy Ihnatko

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a kid, I got a Tootsie Pop in my Halloween candy, and I decided to find the number myself. It was somewhere between ten and eleven hundred. I'm sure I have it written down somewhere...

------------------
"I see you've found your Nausicaan friend. You seem unimpaled so far..."
-Q to Picard, "Tapestry"

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my dorm, there are 280 holes in the cieling tiles. The tiles that line the hallway number 12, 348. The tiles that are on the cielingin the hallway number 378.

Yes, I was bored freshman year.

------------------
When I saw you I fell in love,
and you smiled because you knew
- Unkown

...if you should die before me,
ask if you could bring a friend...
- Unkown

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mutters* Either that or you spent an awful lot of time lying on your back. . .

*notices everyone looking at him*

Because she's been ill, of course!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See! Frank licks at the same rate as me!

Three, Sol? We're talking licks here, not bites.

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
offers First One a lift through the jump gate, if escape becomes nessary.

------------------
SHATTERED MIRROR

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hugs Lee*

No escape necessary, yet....

------------------
28 days and counting........
*HUGE EFFING BIGASS GRIN*

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jubilee, what's in 28 days (as per your signature)?

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garak's comment is very naughty.

------------------
"You hear about 'constitutional rights,' 'free speech,' and the 'free press.' Every time I hear these words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red!!...' You never hear a real American talk like that!"
--
Mayor Frank Hague, Jersey City

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*phew* �)
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: Naughty, but funny also, that is enough to excuse it.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Err... What in the world did I say? You said it took three licks. I highly, highly disagreed, so I wondered if you were talking about bites. I'm sorry if I offended you because of this.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps