Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Son of a ...

Author Topic: Son of a ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was happy. Class got out a few minutes early, it's a nice warm day, got out to the Union Garage, had no trouble getting off campus ... figured I'd head out to Best Buy, maybe pick up In The Line of Fire: Special Edition DVD, get lunch from Subway ...

Stopped at the traffic light at York & West Road. Light goes green, shift into first, release clutch and press gas and ... a) I'm not going anywhere, b) there's a loud "clunk/thunk" sound from underneath and c) ooops ... I'm starting to roll BACKWARDS!

Slam on the brake, parking brake too, hit the emergency blinkers, and begin crying. Okay, maybe not. Tried to shift a couple of times, no luck. Thanfully, guy in the van behind me helped me push the car over to the Ruhl National Guard armory when the light went back to red ...

Except, as we're pushing, he goes back to his car. Since I'm up front, I don't notice this until the Jeep starts rolling towards the fence. As I'm on the ground alongside, I can't a) hit the brake or b) pull the parking brake.

SMASH!

So now I've got a Jeep I can't shift, and my front passenger side is all banged up, and the latch to the hood on that side is broken. Not to mention I'm blocking the entrance to the Armory pretty well.

Thank god for cell phones! Call 911, they send out an officer, and he helps me back the Jeep up, and roll it into the parking lot. He's not happy -- he just bought a 2000 and hopes it doesn't crumple like mine did with an impact at slow speed against a metal fence. I point out that I smashed a deer at a fairly high speed and did no damage, so he's sort of reassured that his Jeep isn't going to crumple if someone touches it.

Triple-A arrives a little while later, and we load my baby onto the back of the dude's truck, and tow it to the dealership in Cockeysville. Nice guy there makes arrangements to get the problem looked at and coordinate something with the body-shop, and promises to call me with the details and estimates later tonight or tommorow morning. Not sure if I want to get insurance involved or not -- I've got a $500 deductible.

So, I'm happy (fairly). Got the Jeep to the dealership, don't work until Thursday, and I live in walking distance of Towson University, so everything's good, right?

Yeah, I'm also about 10 miles from home, and have to cross Padonia, Timonium and Ridgely Roads and the Baltimore Beltway! to get home. *DING!* I work half-a-mile down the road. Head on down, it's kinda busy, so I lend a hand off the clock in exchange for getting a ride to Towson.

So Rich is running shift, and when it slows down, he and I start talking about Jeeps. He's a bit of a mechanic himself -- fixed up his Dad's Jeep, which happens to be in the parking lot. So now I've got someone to do work on my Jeep for cheap -- and who is going to weld a custom tubular bumper/brush guard for the front of my Jeep -- things like: body rise, foglights, sound system, etc. We figure things out, I can afford all this awesome stuff to hook my baby up for $2000 (including bigger wheels and tires -- something every Jeep needs).

So, anyway, that's my day so far. I'm kinda bummed.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jepps are bad about failing crash test. I think your experience with the deer was an exception. If your tranmission is bad, that is going to cost, if it's the clutch, it wont be all that bad. Bumper guards are cool, but before you go for bigger tires, remember that jeeps roll pretty easy, and the bigger the tires, the easier it will roll.

------------------
I DO NOT ENJOY BOTH GENDERS!!!
Ultra Magnus

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yepp. ;

Sorry to hear about this, man. But, as they say in that nauseating chain-letter, LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE OF EVERYTHING!!! HAHAAH, soon you'll have a better and more able Jeep, and all it cost you was some time and money!

No wait, that didn't come out right...
So, why am I still writing instead of correcting it?
Maybe it'll do some good anyway...
Yeah, let's go with that...

Well, you'd be best to know that you have full support from me and the Turnipping Guild.

Just watch out so the wheel axles (axels?) don't weaken too much from the extensions... Then you'll be hurting.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Actually, this is the most damage my Jeep has ever had done to it. My poor baby =(

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, it appears that the problem is neither the clutch not the drive-shaft. It is, in fact, the Rear Differential -- some bolts sheared loose.

$1850 to rebuild it, $2650 to replace it. Ugh. Too bad this is "maintenance" so insurance wouldn't cover it.

The body-damage is just as bad. $1340. ARGH!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, sorry about the car repair bills. Reminds me of all the thousand-plus dollar repairs bills I've put into my Cavalier. Good luck and may Jeep be better after this!

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

JEEEEEEEEP!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

*Ahem*

Thank God it didn't snow.

Well, that's bad because I have to walk to class today -- I can't skip because I've got a test in my Nat. Government class at 11 -- otherwise, I'd be skipping it. But ...

Because it didn't snow, Hillmuth Automotive in Clarksville will get the parts in today, and the repairs should be completed by either later today or sometime tommorow. Which means I will get my Jeep back in good order -- which, BTW, is a very good thing, because I miss my transportation. (And I need money, so I need to work this weekend, so it's all good).

YAY ME!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Pardon me for uno-momento.

!&*%#$!@

It just started snowing.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps