Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Sum of All Fears

Author Topic: The Sum of All Fears
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, perhaps not really anyone's fears, per se, but's it's kind of scary.

While visiting DarkHorizons, I came across a summary of the Press Release for the upcoming film 'The Sum of All Fears', almost-based on the novel of the same name by Tom Clancy.

pseudo-$
pseudo-$
pseudo-$

quote:
Paramount has posted out a press release for the fourth Jack Ryan adventure which reveals some interesting things.

Most are already aware that Ben Affleck is taking over the Jack Ryan role from Harrison Ford, but along for the ride is Morgan Freeman as Director of the CIA Bill Cabot along with a cast including James Cromwell, Liev Schreiber, Bridget Moynahan, Ciaran Hinds and Alan Bates.

What's surprising though is the official plot synopsis that came with it - the Middle Eastern conflict seems to play no part at all (unlike the book where it was in central focus), but most curious of all is that
its ignored the continuity of the last few films with Jack Ryan going back to being an analyst. Here's the synopsis word for word:

"When the President of Russia suddenly dies and is succeeded by a man about whom little is known, tension increases as old fears ignite new paranoia. Director of Central Intelligence Bill Cabot (Freeman) recruits a young (! - UM) analyst from the Russia desk, Jack Ryan (Affleck), to supply insight and advice. Then the unthinkable happens: The capital of Chechnya is leveled by a nuclear bomb. America is quick to blame the Russians, and mistrust escalates despite Ryan's certainty that other players are at work. He is right. Terrorists bent on provoking open war between the two nations are moving behind the scenes to manufacture
and escalate a conflict. When they successfully detonate a second bomb outside Baltimore during the Super Bowl, the world is pushed inexorably towards war ... unless Ryan can supply the needed proof to stem the tide of disaster in time

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 09, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait -- they detonate a bomb OUTSIDE Baltimore during the Super Bowl? Don't they know PSInet stadium is inside Baltimore?

Erm. Wait a second -- I live outside Baltimore! I do believe I'd be a rather crispy critter.

I can understand changing the location of the US detonated bomb -- makes sense, giving that Baltimore had a team in the Super Bowl, also, Baltimore's close location to DC. Also -- the Soviet Union has been gone for over ten years. Paramount probably wants to update the story to a more conventional one ... you know, so as not to "confuse" the movie goers

Being that the Sum of All Fears was a rather lengthy and detailed novel, it's not surprising that the plot has been changed incredibly. Clear and Present Danger the film was a bare hint of what the book was about, but I am disturbed by how Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games (and of course C&PD) is being completely ignored by this film.

Really, they should have done Without Remorse with Keanu Reaves like they were talking about.

Of course, maybe Affleck is "Jack Ryan Junior" ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinks.

Cartoon image pops into head.

Young lad. Bad English accent. Wore jeans and a blazer. Went to an English school where they got all the details wrong.

IQ.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, the Baldwin -->> Ford transition was acceptable, but I don't think Affleck can continue to carry the torch without some difficulties.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose he COULD be Jack, Jr. But then, that kid was born in, what, '99?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm.

Yeah, they're totally changing the plot of the book, but they're going to make sure they respect the DOBs of Ryan's kids. Yeah. And the sun is neon pink.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it sucks. I'd almost rather that they used Ford again, but then, he insisted that the nuke in Denver NOT go off. If you do that, what's the point? The entire first 500 pages of the book are either about Jack and his wife, or about the terrorists building the bomb, plus little bits about the submarine and those big logs. The real suspense comes in in the last 200 or so pages, when the bomb has been set off already.

Too bad they can't just get Clancy to write and direct.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may have the wacky goal of actually producing a watchable movie. Go figure.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Wait -- Ford didn't sign on because he didn't want the bomb to actually go off? Well, hey ...

Actually, after discussing it with some guys I work with, the biggest problem with this summary of the plot is that Ben Affleck takes over the role as Jack Ryan. Not surprisingly, the idea of Baltimore getting nuked was more of a bonus.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question, wasn't it the Metrodome in Minnesota that had the bomb?

------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!
Saiyanman Benjita's Dragonball Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Harrison was just scared that he'd receive lots of complaints.

"Dear Mr Ford.

I am writing to complain. Thanks to you, my kids have now set me up the bomb. I am sending it to you. Make your time.

S. Hussein."

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

In the book, the nuke went off in Denver, I do believe.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps