Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Free Web Space...

Author Topic: Free Web Space...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the most part, sucks bollocks. Unfortunately, it is necessary. My cousin is in need of free web space for her website that promotes her business... However, most hosts don't like it that its for a business.

So, if anyone can give me a recommendation as to webspace that will offer her 10 megs, with a banner ad(not popup), and she doesn't have to sell her soul, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freeservers. (www.freeservers.com)

It was good enough for me when I needed it, but it's begun to severely piss me off.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Tripod can choose between a popup or a stationary banner at the top. You also get 50MB of space.

------------------
"Anatomically impossible, Mr. Garibaldi, but you're welcome to try .. anytime .. anywhere." - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtual Avenue is a free web-hosting service that is exclusively for businesses (of course, I know a few people using it for personal sites). The free package includes 50 megabytes of web space, banner ad (I think it's placed at the bottom of the pages), and fairly decent instructions. I also think it offers extra web space, no ads, and domain registration for extra money, though.
http://www.virtualave.net

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hypermart.net

Business websites only.
50 MB, FTP, CGI, Page builder, Utils
Choose between a popup ad or an ad banner.

Or use a piece of HTML to get rid of the ad completely. Hint hint. *L*

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'd like to know if any of these free webspaces allow for multiple e-mail addresses. I need at least 3 for the company I'm working for.

And do these e-mails support automatic and immediate forwarding to other addresses (not some pansy forwarding program that sends its mail every three hours).

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hypermart, Freeyellow, Virtualave is all the same company, and they are not recommendable any longer. They recently have set up a rule that you have to give them your credit card #, and they will charge $1 per 100MB of excess data transfer. The catch is that only ridiculous 500MB per month are free!

I have recently reviewed the most important free web hosters: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/misc/freewebhosting.htm

This link to the mirror should work until my main site is up again. The people at Strato wanted to do some server maintenance two days ago, and each time their maintenance ends up in a disaster - I don't know if I should be glad that I share I'm sharing the trouble with 1.7 million other customers who are offline too.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd, you can upgrade that Crosswinds review to 'poor.' I used them for a while, but they are overwhelmed with problems. They had serious email issues that are not all fixed. They still cannot offer all the tools for webpage building, AND they take a horribly long time to load.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something about Tripod:
http://www.trektoday.com/news/200301_05.shtml http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2001/03/20/tripod/index.html

Fans of the site You Can't Do That on Star Trek were probably peeved to see that this site was taken down as a result of this so-called "Tripod Massacre". I too was no doubt annoyed by this, and was in the dark trying to figure out what the f#$k was going on.....

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems none of the hosters is without major deficiencies. They seem to have new evil ideas every week how to horrify their users and keep them busy fixing, uploading, moving or upgrading their sites. But even paid hosting is not much better. EAS is down for 56 hours by now. I'm glad I don't sell anything, otherwise I would rather measure the down time in Deutsche Mark.

BTW, I recently registered at Exit.de, and if they tell me that traffic won't be limited (like so often), this will be the place for my excess files. They currently have no banners!

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

BTW, for a business domain hosting can be cheaper and much better for reputation anyway (no banners, own URL). If the sites weren't all down at the moment, I would recommend Strato where it's possible to get hosting plus domain beginning with only about $1 per month. Well, their own pages (running on a luxury server without outages) are up: http://www.strato.de (all German, but you can probably understand the prices)

------------------
Ex Astris Scientia

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps