Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Win98SE accessing registry error

Author Topic: Win98SE accessing registry error
FilthyCherry
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After connecting my PC to an ethernet hub I get this error message with every boot-up. I'm prompted to restart so that windows can fix the error but it doesn't. I've tried regclean to no avail...
Any ideas?
My system:
PIII 533EB
Asus P3C2000
256 Meg SDRAM
2 IBM ATA66 hard disks
2-Com ethernet card

------------------
Cheers and Beers!
www.mp3.com/seabone

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help you but, uh, welcome to Flare!

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

FilthyCherry
Ex-Member

Thanks, it's a very interesting site! I'm going to have some fun here I believe. I fixed my prob by booting to DOS and running scanreg/fix and scanreg/opt.

------------------
Cheers and Beers!
www.mp3.com/seabone

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, welcome to the Cuckoo's Nest, enjoy your stay and be prepared to give up your sanity

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E.L, don't be surprised if you feel a small sting in the back of your neck soon, it's completely natural. You may feel a bit drowsy, but that's OK also.
*ok guys, move in*

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already underwent that treatment. I'm a patient here remember?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My registry has a somewhat similar problem.

Likely problem is that the BIOS supports only 8GB drives, and I have one 7 GB partition in a 20GB HD (the rest of the 13GB is unpartitioned space)

So all Win98SE come with scanreg? Mine doesn't, or I can't find it.

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

FilthyCherry
Ex-Member

Tahna,
Scanreg is a component of DOS I believe, so you should have it there somewhere. I'd imagine a search on your C: drive will find it or you could try typing scanreg.exe from the Start/Run command.
To fix my prob I reboot to DOS from the Start/ShutDown command. I had dug up an old moldy DOS handbook from the early Eighties and found the "scanreg.fix" and "scanreg.opt" commands. After those two my error message has gone away. I also edited scanreg in wordpad to save 25 registries instead of just 5.

Did something just sting me?

------------------
Cheers and Beers!
www.mp3.com/seabone

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your BIOS doesn't take 20gb hard drives, then I suggest you update it, it is never a good idea to waste 13gb of drive just because of a BIOS

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps