Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » An apology for snottiness (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: An apology for snottiness
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,

it's a good thing. I mean, it's not like I said you were a bannana, did I?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a cucumber. I have this thing for cucumbers.

Why did I say this?

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book Contact was awesome.

The movie Contact sucked.

Maybe they should have read the book before making it...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Garrison: *bleargh* *bleaaaaaargh* Euh that movie was horrible! And when that alien turned out to be her father...*bleeargh*

Turnip is good for you, in more ways than Wan. It's the king of root vegetables. It represents the finest life ambitions, it can penetrate the thickest, coldest crust of any soil! Makes for good schnapps material, too.
Our newest hybrid, turnip green�, is especially nutricious...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But. . . Turnip Green - is people!

------------------
"It strikes me that there are enough episodes of the Simpsons that people could speak entirely in Simpsonese, using references from the show to explain or describe an endless series of situations. Nelson and Apu . . . at Tinagra.

But now I�ve brought Star Trek into it again, haven�t I. Sorry."

- James Lileks, 09/04/2001

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book "Contact" was awesome.

The movie "Contact" was awesome.

Maybe Tim shouldn't be so goddamn judgemental at times. *GLARE!*

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the movie was totally screwed up. If they're going to write their own story, they shouldn't steal the major plot points from a perfectly good book. If you're going to use the book, use the whole book. Not just the bits you like, while changing everything else.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

*picks this apart*

"No, the movie was totally screwed up."

Name one scene that was.

"If they're going to write their own story, they shouldn't steal the major plot points from a perfectly good book."

If i'm not mistaken, it was Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan who signed off on the whole thing.

"If you're going to use the book, use the whole book. Not just the bits you like, while changing everything else."

Again, Carl and Ann. Zemeckis just directed the thing. This is something non-film (the techie bits) don't get. YOU try adapating any novel to a screenplay and see what you wind up with. You'll wind up with a screenplay that's twice as long AS the novel. (Knows this from personal experience)

Bottom line: "Contact" = Great movie. TSN ='s HERETIC.

(This post paid for by the Holy Shrine of Arroway)

------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it just Druyan who signed off? Wasn't Sagan already dead by this time?

------------------
Lisa: "OK, now we're gonna pick jobs out of the chore hat. Dad, you go first."
Homer: "Come on, bikini inspector...scrub toilet! Ohhhwww...OK, that was a practice..."

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

No. If I recall corectly, Carl died during the post-production phase.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Let's see... The religious-freak guy was in the movie way too much. Arroway was the only one who went through the device, rather than the five or six that were supposed to. They made her mother dead from the beginning, when it's supposed to be only her father who dies, and her mother remarries. They don't find the message in pi at the end.

And that's just the stuff I remember offhand...

------------------
-Maynard James Keenan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's not that a movie captures every little nuance in the book. Read the book LA Confidential, & then watch the movie, why don't you? It's that the movie captures the spirit of the book. You're just nitpicking. That's like my friend -- ex-navy -- who hates submarine movies because the set is a different shade of gray than the real thing.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different shade of gray??? The entire movies are black!!! They must have terrible gashes over the body from running into levers and bolts...

Submarines practically glow from the light gray everywhere, coupled with the fluorescent lamps.
When I watch "Red Sea" (sorry, "Crimson Tide", I ran out of synonyms) I feel like I'm walking through a star destroyer! But the movie's good.

A friend and I actually laughed in "Red October" (is everyone hemoglobin-obsessed???) when my fellow turnip Stellan Skarsg�rd was giving out orders to his staff aboard the Alfa class sub.

He sat sloped over a chair, green and red lights blinking in his face to increase the drama and make him look like a scheming psychopath, smoking filterless russian cigarettes. We excpected him to storm away and rip the throat out of the chief engineer for not wanting to push the engines past 110%.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Jeff: Nitpicking would be if a word or two were missing from the dialogue and I complained. I'm talking about things they changed for no good reason.

------------------
-Maynard James Keenan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"YOU try adapating any novel to a screenplay and see what you wind up with. You'll wind up with a screenplay that's twice as long AS the novel. (Knows this from personal experience)."

Er, you adapt novels into major Hollywood movies now Jordan? When do you find the time?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps