Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » When The Dude With The Big Arms Comes, You Give Him Your Box (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When The Dude With The Big Arms Comes, You Give Him Your Box
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...that is, if you paid to get movers.

Frankly, I prefer to load all my crap in the back of my Jeep and my neighbor's Dodge Ram and cart it there myself. Which is what I shall be doing on Wednesday, beginning at 8am, as I proceed to move all of four miles north to a studio apartment.

But, hey, no roomates = good.

So, wish me luck. Utes (Comcast, BGE, Verizon) start showing up at about noon to install everything, so by 8pm I'll be sitting back (well, my futon doesn't come 'til Thursday, so I'll be lying on my stomach) watching Voyager's finale and unpacking some stuff.

It's a nice apartment ... the kitchen is against the far wall when you enter, and the closet takes up the right wall. When the closet ends, the bathroom (a big one, surprisingly) is wedged in between the end of the kitchen and the closet. Facing the kitchen, the left wall is really a sliding glass door.

So, I'm going to put some blinds up against the glass door. Because it's a ground floor apartment, and it's not a good idea for the peeps to be able to look in and scope my stuff, you know?

So, my "Entertainment Center" (in reality, a little IKEA TV cart kind of deal) goes in the nook between the kitchen and the end of the glass door. My futon (read: bed) will be placed facing the TV and coming out into the room from the glass door, with my (IKEA) coffee table in front of it. BTW: my "coffee" table will also serve as my kitchen table & work table.

Facing out against the (small) wall between the bathroom door and the kitchen, I'm going to put one of those really cool long IKEA bookshelves without backs. You know which I talk about? Put my hardcover books, board games, and Calvin & Hobbes collection there, finishing off with my stereo and CDs.

Just left of the entrance (facing the kitchen), will be the rest of my bookshelves (one filled with nick-nacks, the other with my LDs & VHS movie collections. At the end of that wall goes my computer desk (and, yes, my computer, too.)

I've given this a lot of thought.

Can you tell ... ?

And my oven is this ugly yucky yellow. Ew!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's your oven!!

Power on private dweller.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but my oven now is this nice off-white.

Oh, well, at least the fridge is brand new.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm moving in a few days too! Leaving my old place that's 20 minutes walk from town (by town, you do realise that I mean pubs and clubs, don't you?), and with shitty furniture and a bad bed, and moving into a kick-ass apartment bang in the middle of town overlooking the Corrib! Just staying there for the summer, but...

Leather couch!
En suite rooms!
Massive living room for entertaining people looking for a cup of scans!
Bookcase FULL of novels !

�40 a week!!!!

Deadly

Can't wait. Good luck, Jeff!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::sighs::: I'm moving, too. Yes, AGAIN. In August. To the lost sunken city of Atlanta. Yes, it's for a girl again. Shut it.

At least this time, I get sex. Woo!

------------------
"'I don't CARE who started it, I'm tired, and I WANT QUIET!!!!! Or I'm going to come up there and flatten the BOTH of you!' And he meant it. And we'd stop. Or he would." --Foreign policy as laid down by First of Two's dad

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As in Georgia ... ?

The state, I mean, not the girl.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, as in Georgia. The state, not the girl or the "nation."

This time... :::nods slowly::: This is the one.

------------------
"'I don't CARE who started it, I'm tired, and I WANT QUIET!!!!! Or I'm going to come up there and flatten the BOTH of you!' And he meant it. And we'd stop. Or he would." --Foreign policy as laid down by First of Two's dad

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck. 8)
http://www.theonion.com/onion3719/moving_day_tips.html

------------------
Phasers

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who wants to smack Vogon around a few times?

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining 'Where is our funding'? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care?"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Me!

Speaking of which, some of these IKEA bookshelves can be a BITCH to move.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Shik
Member # 343

TOLD ya not t'GO that way, Swedish Furniture Boy...

------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All big furniture is a bitch to move, old maid. The thing with IKEA stuffs is that you can dismantle them again if you keep those little sexagonal-tools-that-I-can't-translate-to-save-my-life. *sob*

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I should've kept those.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: I think you may be going for the term "Allen wrench". And we use the Greek word for "six", no the Latin, and say "hexagonal". "Sexagonal tool" just sounds naughty. *L*

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

"Hey, baby, wanna get sexagonal with me ...?"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps