Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » $Pearl Harbor$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $Pearl Harbor$
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with you ther Jeff, right up to the point you used Braveheart as an example.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Braveheart certainly takes a few liberties here and there but isn't as all-out awful as Bruckheimer. Yes, twenty years of history get crunched into a thirty second bagpipe montage as Gibson runs across a mountaintop. The prince's gay advisor guy didn't get killed until much later on, IIRC. But it's isn't reprehensibly innacurate.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to remember, but off the top of my head:

The face paint which became one of the films visual logos had gone out of fashion centuries earlier.

No way was Wallace the father. He and rich English girl were never in the country at the same time. Likewise her being at his execution.

The Irish didn't turn on the English.

Other stuff I can't remember.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet peeve with braveheart-The first battle- Stirling was not portrayed realistically at all. It was actually the battle of Stirly BRIDGE, where wallace attacked the british as half the army was still crossing over the river allowing for an easy rout. odd how they don't even include a bridge in the movie. the the resulting bloodbath was amusing nonetheless.

Psyliam-What "rich english girl" are you reffering to btw?

other than that. I still enjoyed the movie on a purely visceral level. mmm. battle scenes are cool.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... If I remember the movie correctly, Gibson only banged one "rich English girl". The French princess.

Yes, I know that doesn't make sense. But, she was a girl. I'm sure she was rich. And, since she was married into the English royal family, you could call her "English", I suppose.

Unless there's someone else I'm forgetting...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, if you are going to the movies to learn your history...well, don't

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago I dug up a Braveheart script online for a paper that I ultimately didn't write. But I did read the entire thing, which turned out to be a very late draft that was still different from the shooting script. One thing that did stick out was the fact that the Stirling fight scene did indeed feature a battle on a bridge. Looks like it got rewritten to the historical innacurate final version later on...

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And at that time the royal family was still basically French. As was the actress portraying her.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I meant to type "French". I was thinking French. I was getting to that part. And then I just typed "English". Maybe something was happening on the news.

But yeah. Same thing. Not in the coutry at the same time. Yadayadayada.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps