Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Space Shuttle Buran! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Space Shuttle Buran!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't, by the way, going to happen. I ran across an old estimate of the cost of the Buran program that put it at around 13 billion rubles. Russia did just increase its entire space budget by 43%. To 8 billion rubles. They literally aren't even paying their cosmonauts, and they expect to refurbish the one Buran actually built (or put together the two that were partially constructed but never assembled), build new booster rockets for it, since the old ones were reused for other things, and pay for all of this via tourism? Pull the other one, Russia.

Which is sad, really. But there you go.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost forgot: Fun Facts about Buran! Amaze your friends!
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China is gonna try to land someone on the moon by 2010? I'm sorry, but I think that there is hardly a snowball's chance in hell that they are gonna make that. Although it IS possible, I just don't think it's probable. Or am I totally underestimating our Chinese friends here?
IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're SORELY underestimating them. Go Taikonauts!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MIB
Ex-Member

Really? ok. I guess I am. lol
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all the Chinese need is a rocket powerful enough to get them all the way to the moon. They already have a firm grip on the launching of commercial satellites.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any pictures of the Buran?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were lots of pics on the site. Buran doesn't look like much, but the Spiral is one sweet-ass shuttle

Spiral

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

MIB
Ex-Member

Yep. that is one bad mother.....Shut your mouth! LOL
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that ship's in Captain Scarlet.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The Buran was reverse engineered from the space shuttle, and looks almost identical. As others have mentioned, there are a few photos included in that link I posted towards the top.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Japan's space program is going nowhere because it's rockets keep blowing up. Part of the problem is that space exploration and rocketry is under the control of two separate government ministries who don't get along very well. Meanwhile, the North Koreans are firing ballistic missiles over Japan into the Pacific. Several Japanese astronauts have flown on the US Shuttle, but the first Japanese in space was a TV journalist who bought a trip from the Soviets.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn19991117a3.htm
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20000526a6.htm

I thought the HOPE spaceplane was cancelled, but I guess work continues as an unmanned test vehicle:
http://www.nasda.go.jp/Home/Projects/HOPE-X/index_e.html

Don't underestimate the Chinese. Remember what happened in the novel 2010 (in a subplot not included in the movie)?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh, Tsien...that was the best part of the book, too...& Peter Hyams cut it because "he felt space was getting too crowded." But he DID happen to sketch this image as a possible concept for the ship.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MIB
Ex-Member

hehe. cute. In the book, didn't the Tsien have a cylindricle shap to it?

Sense we are already straying away from the thread's original topic, I just finished reading 3001 a few weeks ago. The other three books were much better. Some of the comments about Star Trek and a few other things really did kind of take me back. Plus 3001 one had a few problems with continuity. It totally ignores what has already been writtin in the epiloges of the previous Odyssey books. Despite the fact that it was supposed to be the 'final odyssey,' Clark left the door wide open for a 4001.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's no ship...that's a tumble dryer!!!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps