Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I just tryed out the demo version of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I just tryed out the demo version of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowadays, the graphic card is at least as important as the CPU for games.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I haven't tried Elite Force, but I have played the Descent III demo, which has heavy 3D graphics. I find that it takes a little bit to render the explosions after playing for a while. I have a Celeron 500 MHz, 64MB of RAM, and I think my graphics card is a Wild Tangent something-or-other. And I only know that because there's a Wild Tangent control in my Win98 Control Panel.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i installed the delta force 2 demo, i had the resolution down to around 300 X 200 or something like that. and it still ran crappy.

and the Oni demo. one frame every five seconds! it took me 45 minutes to navigate the main menu to the Quit button.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Elite Force, they managed to recreate the Trek feel pretty well. I'd agree with the Evil Lord in saying that the problem is due to it being a demo. It's rare enough that all demos will work perfectly for you. With your spec I'm sure the full version will work fine.

Unfortunately I've been out of the PC games loop for a while. Although my stone-age P166 32MB w/PowerVR is okay for certain things like programming, and internet browsing, the last games I was realistically able to play were of the Starcraft/Jedi Knight/X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter generation.

At the moment I'm depending on the ol' Playstation for my gaming. I'm biding my time when it comes to getting a PC (understatement, I know), but I may take the plunge soon and go for something of the 1.5GHz ilk. I don't like the idea of getting a PC with some resource-hogging behemoth of a Windows OS, but I don't really see a realistic alternative in terms of software compatability. BTW Does anyone have recommendations for AMD Athlon vs P4?

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't 1.5GHz stepping into the 'Overkill' boundry a bit? Honestly. There isn't a game out there that I know of that would require more than 500MHz as long as you have a 3D graphics card. I suggest you get something a bit slower. (and cheaper) If you want the truth, just because you get a 1.5GHz CPU doesn't mean you'll get incredibly fast speed. Especcially if you have a slower OP system and things like that.

I'm perfectly happy with my 650MHz computer. It runs like a dream, and the characters in Elite Force on my computer have fairly smooth movments to them. Not jerky. This is compared to Elite Force's performance on Da_Bang80's 900MHz computer. Faster doesn't always mean better. I'll say again 1.5GHz is overkill. I suggest going for something that is around 700MHz.

IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can never have a PC that's overkill, because from the moment you complete the transaction it has been made obsolete by a faster CPU/RAM type/graphics card/etc. That, and the fact that buying something that seems excessive today will be tomorrow's average, midrange gear. It also elimates the need for constant upgrading -you might be able to get away with a 700Mhz for a while, but it'll be behind the times in 6 months.
There really is only one major rule you have to follow: buy the best you can afford.

As for P4 vs. AMD: right now, the cards are shuffled in AMD's favor. Intel's CPU was designed (optimised) to work with RAMbus technology which hasn't really lifted off due to a variety of difficulties (legal matters, technical obstacles). AMD CPU's, on the other hand, are lightning-quick in combination with DDR-RAM, which is now going into mass-production - ergo, the availability and price will soon be excellent.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MIB
Ex-Member

Evil Lord. Honestly. If you or anyone tryed to keep 'up to date' with thier computer systems he/she would go insane and/or broke in a matter of months. I'm perfectly willing to be 'out of date' with my computer. It's the only way I can keep my sanity.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True.

Still, why does everyone feel they need to buy a new system. Upgrade your current one. Sure, the motherboard and CPU pretty much have to be changed at the same time nowadays, but everything else will work. Then you can upgrade your SDRAM to Rambus or DDR-SDRAM, and a bit later you could buy a Geforce 3. Actually, you should probably do that before the RAM.

Even if you change most of the internal components, it's still a lot cheaper, because you're not buying a new CD-ROM drive, floppy drive, hard drive, monitor, keyboard, case, and so on.

Oh, and Evil_Lord, if you are going for 1.5 GHZ, get a Geforce 3. Any other graphic card would be a waste. If you're going for something a bit more reasonable though, like a 700 mhz, a Geforce 2 would be more than enough.

In any case, if you're buying new, get at least a Geforce 2 (not the MX version. The MX version is fine, brilliant even for CPU's up to about 600mhz, but after it become a bit of a false commodity). Don't get a Voodoo.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my computer back in February 01 for $1,250. Before I got it, I had an old 486 which ran fine all things considered. The only problem with this one is the OS; WinME is a RAM killer and so it can lag a bit, but still a hell of a lot faster than my dad's 300MHz.

People are told that they need 1.5GHz by computer companies when in most cases a cheaper less powerful system will do them just fine.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is also true. But I'm what you might call a 'poweruser' (I run lots of heavy-duty applications - PhotoShop, Lightwave, and the like - as well as power-hungry games), so I need all the oomph I can get

Of course, not everyone needs that much raw power, and keeping one's PC up to date is really quite impossible. However, a more juicy setup will last longer, and provide a bit more breathing room in the future.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Not to criticise your set-up, because I used to have something pretty bad, but bragging about owning a Voodoo3 is like bragging about owning a Betamax.

It's my parents computer, or rather the one I used to use before I got my new one. My new one boasts an ATI Radeon 64mb and there is no difference between the kind of games I can run. A Voodoo3 may be old, but it can still handle any game out there.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

You tried playing Tribes? Or Startopia?

A Voodoo III might be able to run any game. So can a PIII 350. It just won't run them especially well.

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

I personally have an Nvidia card that came with my computer. I have no complaints about it.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Nvidia are pretty much "the dudes" when it comes to graphic card design nowadays.

Still, saying you have a "Nvidia" graphics card is as useful as saying you've got an "Intel" CPU. They make severeal, you know. Currently, the TNT II is (just about) entry level, and is being replaced by the Geforce II MX.

The Geforce III is a monster frankly. It is the graphics card equivalent of Simon Sizer (who, as we know, is part horse). Powerful, large, but overkill in most situations.

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
It doesn't need a OpenGL compatible card. A Direct 3d compatible one works.

EF uses the Quake 3 Engine, which is OGL only.

As for the game, it ran fantastic on my little 500Mhz at 1024x762x32 Full textures

My current system:

Intel Pentium III 1000Mhz
256MB 100Mhz SDRam
Asus v7700 Deluxe GeForce2 32MB
7200rpm Western Digital 13.6GB HD
7200rpm Western Digital 39.1GB HD
SoundBlaster Live DD5.1 XGamer Soundcard

it runs at about 90-140fps at 1600x1200x32 full texture res.

The next step: Getting Tribes 2 to run smoothly! Damn that game is resource inteseive!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps