Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why does my computer hate me 2?

Author Topic: Why does my computer hate me 2?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I wanted to vote for Gore too!!!!

Okay, here's my problem.

Somehow, my autoexec.bat file decided to write its will yesterday, and I've spent all day trying to recover what my batch file did. Apparently, a virus (I think) had overwritten the extension on my batch file and did something so that I could not delete any file with that extension. A friend of mine managed to purge that file as well as run a dos-based virus checker to nail the culprit virus.

Now this leaves me without a batch file, and I basically tried to reassemble my batch file from memory. Here I have a problem:

My work at the computer lab requires me to use many paths to gain access to certain directories without the need to access them separately. I had the following paths:

path c:\dos
path c:\windows
path c:\[insert directory here]
path c:\[insert another directory here]
and so on.

Unfortunately, my Windows will no longer load up. A classmate suggests moving my Windows path down to the bottom. I did so, and it did work, but now I cannot access all the other paths that I need to access.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a new computer?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what you're saying is that you can manage to get Windows to load, but things like your CD-ROM drive and drivers aren't loading?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... IIRC, paths are all supposed to be on one line, with semi-colons between each directory. For example:

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\PLEH;D:\

You're effectively telling it to make one directory the single path, then to replace it with another directory, then yet another. That's why only the last one works. You have to put them all in using a single command.

All as is my understanding. I haven't really had to deal with all this in quite some time.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I opened up my autoexec.bat file and my path setting is:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\;C:\CDROM;C:\BRCD\COMMAND;C:\BRCD\BIN

I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition.

If worse comes to worse, you might wanna see if you have old version of the autoexec file still on your hard drive that you could restore. I have two: autoexec.001 and autoexec.002. If you've installed something that has made alterations to your autoexec.bat file, you might to see if you still have the older version. It'll at least get Windows up and running fully again.

And, as is always the last resort, you could try backing up your files and then re-installing Windows. Certainly not a fun prospect (especially if all you have available to back up your stuff is the floppy disk drive).

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd. The thing to watch is for path mappings you don't need. . . for instance, installing PCAnywhere 9 re-writes your AUTOEXEC.BAT to make the PCA directory the default, and Windows just doesn't start. Really useful.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon: I've never had any problems with PCAnywhere 9 or 10 since I was using them when my boss left on a trip.

Siegfried: I just tried that. For some reason I get a "Too many Parameters" on my screen.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try SET PATH=path;path;path;"%PATH%"
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Siegfried: I just tried that. For some reason I get a "Too many Parameters" on my screen.

That's because the line has to end with a semi-colon as well, i.e.:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\;C:\CDROM;C:\BRCD\COMMAND;C:\BRCD\BIN;

Alternatively you can simply specify PATH=C:\;%PATH% - this will recurse all subdirectories beneath the root.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked at my AutoExec.bat, and it's well, empty..... there is nothing there whatsoever, I don't know why, and it isn't bothering my computer. I guess I should be happy

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

What the hell!? The copy and paste function ate my semicolon!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure why having the PATH file missing would stop Windows from loading the CD drivers and all that. I always thought that the Autoexec.bat file was largely for DOS.

Infinity: Your could be empty if you're running Windows ME or (I think) 2000.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your config.sys file all right?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am definately glad that my stepdad minored and several of my friends are computer science majors. I would have gone mad by now and would have bought a new Sony Vaio laptop.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Infinity: Your could be empty if you're running Windows ME or (I think) 2000.

Yes, I'm not in big trouble!! Thanks

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps