Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Stephen E. Ambrose's "Band of Brothers" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stephen E. Ambrose's "Band of Brothers"
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the book in a few years, but I'm looking forward to the HBO miniseries premiering tonight. Anyone else planning on turning in?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm living overseas, I'll have to wait for the DVD.
Any ways what I wanted to mention is that when I was in grade school in the mid 1960s, WWII had only been over for about 20 years, which is how far the early Reagan administration is from today. All the movies of those days were made by people for whom the war was a very recent memory. Thinking about that sort of amazes me. In contrast, today's WWII movies are sort of cloaked in sepia haze of nostalgia (for example, Pearl Harbor).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Pearl Harbor was coated in a thick film of Bruckheimerism, which is kind of like mucus, but more viscous.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd kick this to the top, since Band of Brothers has recently finished its 8th episode and only has 3 weeks left to go (two more eps, then a documentary with the actual men of Easy Company).

I love this series! It's shot like Saving Private Ryan, but each episode focuses on a different member of Easy Company.

Anyhoo, I'm loving this series! You folks?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep missing it, it seems to be one once a week (Friday, uselessly) with a repeat on Wednesday. Not sure how many there have been, but I think tonight's repeat should be the Operation Market Garden one.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful series. episodes 6 and 7 were exceptional, all of them have been very good.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Re: tonight's episode. Wow.

Speaking of which, had an interesting "talk" with a co-worker of mine ... ex-Soviet army officer, came over in '87. Claimed there was no holocaust, that Americans made lousy soldiers, and won no wars without lots of help (he didn't respond to my question about the Civil War). Idiot.

Anyhoo ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably wrong here, but I thought you had help from the French there.

Or...not?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No ... that was the "Revolutionary" War.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. You have so many, I forget.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There most certainly was foreign support of the opposing sides in the US Civil War, Snayer.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But not to the degree as in the Revolutionary War.

To the best of my knowledge, no foreign troops participated ... and if they did, they didn't to any significant degree (as the French did -- that is, to a significant degree -- in the Revolutionary)

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no troops, to my knowledge. But it was still "having help."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to the outbreak of hostilities, Secretary of State Seward suggested to Abraham Lincoln that, in his opinion, since the ultimate goal of the Lincoln Administration was the preservation of the Union, the wisest course of action would be the initiation of a foregin war. The thought being that with a common foe to fight, the regions of the country would forego sectional strife and come together. Needless to say, that silly idea failed.

However, on the whole, foreign intervention in the American Civil War was minuscule as compared to the American Revolution.

The Confederacy spent much of the war trying desperately to have a foreign power intervene on their behalf. It had some success on the diplomatic front as that France and the United Kingdom were sympathetic to the non-slavery portion of the Confederate cause, yet, they were unwilling to send troops to fight due to that pro-slavery portion of the Confederate cause.

A number of British troops were sent to Canada as a result of the tension caused by the "Trent Affair" as Confederate commissioners John Slidell and James M. Mason were taken from the British merchant vessel, The Trent. As I recall the number of troops sent to Canada was around 10,000, which viewed in terms of the large armies fielded by both North and South was insignificant as a fighting force, but useful as a message.

While the Confederacy received diplomatic sympathy, even that only went so far. The Union saw the desperate Confederate need for foreign supplies and moved to quash that not only by blockade, but also by applying pressure on foreign power who were seen to be assisting the rebels. Most notably, the Union was able to stop the building of iron-clad rams in British shipyards. This severly limited the the ability of the Confederates to harass Union military and merchant shipping worldwide or to force open and generally weaken an effective Union blockade of southern states.

France on the other had did take the oportunity to make moves into Mexico in violation of the Monroe Doctrine and met with some success because of the fact Union's military priority was elsewhere.

On another note Mr. Snay, I would say that your former Soviet officer was more indoctrinated than knowledgeable. One can certainly point to the American war with Mexico in the 1840's as an example of American success without foreign assistance, but that would miss the point of a nuanced argument with this fellow.

If there is actually a point of such an argument, then you Herr Snay should be aware of the Soviet anger at both the United Sates and Great Britian for waiting as long as they did to open a second European front while the Soviets were taking the brunt of the German war machine. Here he would have a point and an interesting conversation.

To claim that United States soldiers were poor is again missing the greater point. As compared to Soviet tatics, the Allies of World War II saw no need of needlessly expending troops the way Soviet military command did. Soviet soldiers of war produced some trememdous acts of valor and heroism, but the question must be asked of how the Soviets might have faired against a Germany that didn't have interests in North Africa, the Aegean area and France. Needless to say of the question of how the Soviets would have faired in any case without the pre-American entry into the war Lend Lease aid and the huge amout of war-wide allied military assistance.

Still, the question of American and Allied soldiers should be addressed. The Allies took a great toll on German military manufacture and infrastructure with American daylight bombing and British night bombing. Both took heavy losses and achieved great affect. Not to mention the strategic and tatical significance of allied air superiority, both in the European theater and in the Pacific.

Speaking of the Pacific, the Americans did not go it alone, even in the Pacific, and it would have been foolish to do so. Austrailians, British, Coast Watchers, ect. all took part in the effort to defeat Japan. Same can be said for the defeat of Germany. The Gary Cooper, "High Noon" I'm doing it all by myself, attitude is for people who have no concept of strategy.

You should have your Soviet officer consider the Marines on Guadalcanal, Tarawa or Iwo Jima; the Army units at Bastone; the units at Inchon; the Marines at the Chosin Reservoir; the Marines at Khe Sanh.

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

then you Herr Snay should be aware of the Soviet anger at both the United Sates and Great Britian for waiting as long as they did to open a second European front while the Soviets were taking the brunt of the German war machine.

Okay, "my" Soviet officer is a dip-shit that everyone wants to fire.

Anyhoo, he denied Lend Lease ... "bottom of Balkans" ... in regards to the second front, he replied that the Soviets were kickin' ass and takin' names, and that Roosevelt and Churchill begged Stalin to renew their attacks on Germany in order to speed up the possibility of D-Day succeeding.

Yes, I agree with you about his indoctrination. Now, if only we can indoctrinate him to shut up. Funny thing is, he claims to have an engineering degree ... and he's delivering pizzas. Eh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps