Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How did they ... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How did they ...
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the investigation moves forward they have reported one of the suspects in the hijacking was a trained pilot. They are also executing search warrants all over America , many of which are here in Florida where I live.

The finger of blame is inching ever so much closer to Bin Laden. ABC reports that the leader of the investigation into the bombing of the USS Cole , who had to leave Yemen under armed guard after many attempts on his life , recently took a job at the WTC and is now missing. Also intelligence organizations from Germany , the UK , France and Jordan report that this could be the work of Bin Laden.

Update on the Fire Fighters , ABC reports 6 more have been pulled alive from the debris and wreckage.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently one of the airline pilots on the hijacked planes was a graduate of Embry Riddle, the school where I am now, in Daytona Beach, Florida right next to the Intl Airport here. FBI is talking to members of the administration here. Also, the media is off the campus and must be itching to be ON campus getting our reactions. But they're not allowed and we have all been told that if we see media on campus to call security and to not talk to the media either on or off campus.

Crazy shit.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was one of the Hijackers who took classes not the airline pilots.

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't really need to take flying lessons to take control of a Boeing 757 or 767, just have the pilot take you near JFK International or La Guardia International, take him or her out of the seat, and then aim the plane at full speed at innocent civilians.
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

if only it was that easy.

Remember your at the wheel of a huge aircraft and it is a complex machine , its not just grab the stick and fly like a video game.

There are lots of forces that act on the flight characteristics of an airplane that a pilot knows how to counter act.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scratch my last. One of the hijackers is a graduate of Embry Riddle.

I have to go now.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should have anywhere from 2-4 armed security guards on the flights.. probably federal officers, for jurisdictions sake. Whether they should be undercover or uniformed, or even one or two of both should be up to them.

Cockpit doors are made of very thin plastic board and have crude if any latch mechanisms. They should have locks.

We cant destroy the travel network by trying to scrutinize every single passenger more than we do now, but try to protect and control them once they are on the plane

Airport security will keep devices and complex weapons off the planes, but plane security will keep the passengers from committing or falling victim to acts

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered about that: why are the most important people on board an airplane behind a lousy curtain!?
Lock the forward pilot sections! Or am I thinking to simple?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could even put private armed security on the airliners. The 747 jets already have armed security, and two or more armed security men wouldn't be justified on many flights, especially those with small manifests.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point, i dont know if i would trust a rent-a-cop as opposed to a federal officer with a badge

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Security with what? A GUN? Yeah, let's fire off a projectile weapon in a pressurized airliner.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

That concern hasnt stopped the people who bring guns aboard aircraft and shoot the pilots.
Im presuming a federal sky marshal would understand the dangers involved in using (or even drawing) his weapon and act accordingly.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
US Aviation law dictates that the cockpit be locked while in flight, I think. (Locking the cockpit isn't legally required in Canada and Europe, but not for long...)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob, you got your wish. CNN now reports the immediate discontinuance of curbside check-ins, the complete prohibition of all bladed instruments, & a reinstatement of federal air marshals.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it make a difference?

Look at it this way. A man with a weapon threatens a passenger, and says "Take this plane to New York". The pilot is going to do it, isn't he? How's that different from a man with a weapon threatening a passenger, and saying "Take me to the cockpit"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps