Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Fracture my lower limbs, please.

Author Topic: Fracture my lower limbs, please.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm traveling to Malta, a small island under Sicily, tomorrow, with my organization.
Our conference/vacation has been planned for months now, and we've decided, after a few days of indecision, to go despite the present situation.

The travel agency and the airline has cleared it, and there is no apparent threat to us. If you want to be a bigot, Malta is mostly muslim, and it's a stepping stone between southern europe and tunisia. But I have no regrets whatsoever.

Regardless, I must soothe my emotional side and post these silly words, for the "what-if" side of my brain would kill me if not. Also, the alcohol has killed what better judgement I used to have.

So see you in Tuesday, people. So says Niklas Peterson, 22, Sweden. *waves little handkerchief*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you want to be a bigot, Malta is mostly muslim

Actually, Malta will remain mostly Muslim whether or not i decide to be a bigot.

But good luck, and try to have an allright time..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Malta is a very neat place. Lots of history.

But, uh, it's not an Islamic country. Almost entirely Catholic, and has been for nearly as long as there's been a Catholic Church, I think.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much of "Gladiator" was filmed there.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malta is 91% Roman Catholic.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring me a souvenire, Nimmy.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm back, with a tan!

I have never seen so much airport security!
For starters, the swedish police was covering the whole Arlanda airport here, all of them with silenced H&K MP5 sub-machineguns.
The return trip from Malta was even worse, them soldiers in Valetta airport looked mean.
Three arab-looking people were taken in for a chat there, and another man was questioned by our police when we returned to Sweden.

But the trip was wonderful, only on the first day were there clouds and they didn't even block the sun. The other days you had to watch out not to get hurt, which I did anyhow.
The currency was the highest I've used ever, one Maltese Lira/Pound was 24 Swedish Krona and 2.4 US dollars when we left.
I only know one who is higher and that's the kuwaiti Dinar, and I don't plan on going there any time soon. :-)

The drinks and food were pretty cheap, in a good way, but the hotel minibar almost sucked me and my roommate dry, as they always do.

The nightlife was like that of many latin countries, lots of dance joints, salsa, mambo. The girls were extrememly yum and liked it when you danced with them. Aiaiai...

I'm not used to salt water, (not THAT salt, anyhow), so there was much showering and disgusting "mishaps" when snorkling.
The "sightseeing" was great, we got four open jeeps to drive around the island with on some sort of treasure hunt.
It was scary at times since they A: drive on the left side, and B: act like goddamn Indycars while doing it, but there were no accidents.
The Silent City of Mdina was awesome, much culture there, Sol, wink wink.
All in all, everybody's really glad we didn't cancel, although we came home at midnight in the sunday (back to the treadmill...). I'm also happy to say that airplane food has improved over the years, I used my vomit bag to store candy and chocolate in instead. Must've looked strange to see someone eating from that thing.

I didn't get any souvernirs, just some clothes from a nice, newly-built five story shopping mall. And I got a big beer stein decorated with the maltesian cross.

The one coworker who didn't join us to Malta was the guy who went to New York instead.
He had visited the twin towers of the World Trade Center the day before the attack, spent three hours on the top floor with his girlfriend and their baby. But he came home today and will go to work tomorrow, so everything's almost back to normal now.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silenced MP3s? Gosh, the renowned socialability of the Swedes goes a step further, as they strive to ensure that no-one is disturbed by the noise as they gun down suspected terrorists. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do they really make an MP3 machine gun? ooh they could advertise it in a trade mag and next month we'd see lots of really surprised consumer electronics afficionados

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drat. I am spending far too much time on the net looking for music. But then again, they're combining everything with an MP3 player these days, so why not? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

Well, because of that little outburst, I might not post any piccies! Whatsoevaah! ];P

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post 'em, post 'em!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps