Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Counter-Strike Mapping Help

Author Topic: Counter-Strike Mapping Help
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help!

Ok, I suck at computer mapping. I really do. I just can't do it ... hell, I'm just not good with computers at all.

Is anyone familiar with this site, "http://csnation.counter-strike.net/cs2d/howto/how_layout3.htm"? I've got some great ideas for maps ... but when it comes to actually mapping them, I SUCK!

So, what I was wondering ... if I created a map layout similar to the layouts on the CS2D site, would someone be willing to create that layout? "Layout by Malnurted Snay, Mapping by So-and-So"? Something along those lines, perhaps?

Ideas I currently have:

The Center of Arts at Towson University, north of Baltimore, MD. Massive building of theaters, classrooms, offices, catwalks, air-ducts, stairwells leading to no-access rooms, essentially a huge maze (and it really is, ask anyone who has had a class there).

A huge maze. Terrorists capture hostages at a British amusement's park full-scale maze. T's and CT's get lost trying to find each other in massive structure of dead ends and so on.

Hell ... for any Star Trek/Counter-Strike fans out there (and I'm sure there are a few of you, especially here), I was even thinking it would be cool if the CTs had to go into the Paramount lot and take out some Terrorists on a fictional version of the TNG sets. Essentially, the CT spawn would be right outside the entry of the sets. We'd have Ten-Forward, the Bridge, corridors (lot of corridors), jeffries tubes, Main Engineering, Sickbay ... obviously, this would be an idealized formation of the sets, as the TNG sets were split between two different stages.

I've got many other ideas ... I'd like to go in the direction of great maps like Italy and Inferno, which allow both teams a wide variety of strategy and tactics.

If you're interested in doing this, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using Worldcraft and similar 3d tools is usually far beyond we mere mortals...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles,

Of anyone, I figured you'd be able to do it. I tried figuring out Worldcraft, tried the tutorials ... couldn't get it to work for me. Hmmm. Of course ... if you were to do one, you could make one to work for "C-S" and another for the Half-Life mod you play ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are maps out there that are Star Trek style. TREK1701D and AURORA are a few- however they're for different mods(Action HalfLife I think). Go to File Planet, look these up and download them. Look inside the text files and find the author's name. See if they'll help you out.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah? Excellent. Can you describe them, briefly? Is it the same kind of situation?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, why a British amusement park? Wouldn't it be easier for you to do a map of a theme park you've been to? Or am I suppossed to walk around Alton Towers with a metre stick and graph paper?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Heh. Actually, I read quite a few years back that you Brits have some life-size mazes out there somewhere. Carved out of hedges or something?

Anyway, so far I'd like the TNG set map to contain:

The Main Bridge

The Observation Lounge & Ready Room

Main Engineering complete with access to the warp core ... you can get all the way to the third deck above the core -- like in "Heart of Glory" -- not to mention plenty of access to jeffries' tubes

Sickbay

Officer's Quarters (Picard-style) the Officer's Quarters will be located close enough to the CT spawn that fast moving CTs will be able to shoot out the windows and enters the sets from this location

Officer's Quarters (Data-style)

Cargo Bay (lots of sniping opps?)

Shuttlebay complete with shuttle, this also may be close to the CT spawn to allow another access point for CTs

Holodeck probably just with the black b.g. and yellow stripes

Transporter Room Ever wanted to know where that corridor to the side goes? Well, it leads to a "behind the scenes" area where quick moving T's and CT's can flank the enemy

Stellar Cartography this would be fun to do, but any CT or T who jumps off the platform to the deck below wouldn't have much of a way out

Oh yes. Lots and lots of corridors, and jeffries tubes. The jeffrie tube access system will allow players stealthy access to any part of the ship, including an exit onto the Battle Bridge turbo just off the main bridge.

As for other parts, a "behind the scenes" stairwell would provide access to the upper walkway in the shuttlebay. The turbolifts wouldn't be functional -- but they'd be good hiding spaces. It might be cool to build a "turbolift tube" set ... but ... well, hey. We'll see. Ideas? Suggestions? For those familiar with CS, this map would probably be about the size of Inferno or Italy ... a very good size arena for combat.

Actually, if possible, we could even change the skin of the hostages to actors dressed in TNG uniforms.

Anything else I left off?

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How big is "life" then?

Some places do have giant hedges, like Hampton Court. I didn't think this was a Britain only thing though. Surely the US has some?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Maybe, but I'm sure they're pretty lame. Somehow, running through a labyrinth seems more like something you English would do. We Americans just like to jump down in front of the TV

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Oh yes. Many's the summer afternoon my friends and I retire from the public house and entertain ourselves with a fine game of hedge-maze.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could just play Elite Force. Though it isn't the same thing at all.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time i left a bar i got caught in a helluva hedge maze and almost didnt find my way home. When the sun cme up, i noticed there was a helluva problem with my neighbor's bushes in the eight or so houses between my building and the bar. Never did figure out where that maze was though...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes, okay, that's great, but I'd kind of like to keep the focus of the TNG map.

Essentially, telling this from the CT point of view:

You spawn. Buy weapons. You're in the stage, and the enclosed set is in front of you. You have access by a corridor. If you jog to the side, you can shoot out the windows and enter the 10-Foreward or Officer Cabin quarters, which also allows access to the maze of sets.

The T's spawn on the Main Bridge. Hostages are herded into the Ready Room set. There are three ways to access the bridge: the first is through the Observation Lounge, and the corridor at the far end of that. The second is the turbolift entry by the Ready Room. This opens into a corridor (hey, we're not trying to make these uber-realistic to the actual set layout). The third is a jeffries tube access in the floor of the Battle Bridge Emergency turbolift.

What we have is a maze of sets: the brig, Main Engineering, sickbay, labs, shuttlebay (with shuttle, and overhead control booth), not to mention a twisting arena of corridors and a network of jeffries' tubes.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, I just finished a very rough "set" layout.

So far, it looks like a mishapen "O". On the right side, the Main Bridge (w/ Ready Room and Observation Lounge). Proceeding from where the forward turbolift is in "real life", you enter a corridor which features a jeffries tube access on the right, and Sickbay on the left. A side corridor provides access to the Transporter Room, and a door which leads to a stairwell which provides access to the Generations style Stellar Cartography.

If you move past the side corridor, the corridor itself branches to the left, allowing access to the shuttlebay on your right. The corridor turns again, and becomes the corridor "pass through" in Main Engineering (which also has another jeffries tube access, to the side of the Pool Table). The primary CT entry point is through that little side corridor in Geordi's office. Ambition CTs can camp at the top of the three-story warp core.

If you continue through the corridor, you hang a right turn, and the corridor becomes the one you see outside of Ten-Foreward. Passing through Ten-Foreward gives you access to another branching corridor, which feature several officer's quarters. If you follow the corridor, you find yourself at the Observation Lounge, which then provides access to the Bridge.

I want to make the level a bit more complex, perhaps adding some extra corridors. Ideas? Suggestions?

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps