Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » (ENT-$) We missed an anniversary... (Spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: (ENT-$) We missed an anniversary... (Spoilers)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minor spoilers can be found in this thread. Sorry, folks!

Amid all the chaos happening around us, we Star Trek fans seemed to have missed an important anniversary a couple of days ago. This past Monday, September 17th, was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the date that the OV-101 was rolled out from the Palmdale assembly plant. OV-101 is, of course, the Space Shuttle Enterprise. And this date showed the power of thousands of fans writing to the White House to ask then-President Ford to name the first space shuttle after her science-fiction counterpart.

NASA's Space Shuttle Enterprise

[Edit: added spoiler warnings since the thread was dipping into recent information for Enterprise.]

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly doens't outweigh the events that happened in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, but still, an anniversary is an anniversary.

--------------------
Meh

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OV-101, NX-01, hmm. . . You know, it'd really confuse things if they had a line in the new show saying the "new" Enterprise, as with the Space Shuttle, was named after the ship in a TV show. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. However, that would completely screw things up. In the Star Trek universe, there was indeed a show called "Star Trek" that featured a ship named the "Enterprise" that spawned the name for the original space shuttle and the original Earth spaceship capable of Warp 5. Indeed, the fourth spinoff of that original show would chronicle the adventures of that same ship a century and a half in advance while the original series chronicled the adventures of the ship that is two and half centuries away. Just typing that and thinking that is giving me a temporal mechanics headache.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that its brought up though, wouldn't it have been nice to have Akiraprize's (yes, I'm still calling it that) registry be something like NOV-101 or even just NCC-101 in honor of the shuttle?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Ummm... are wandering into spoiler territory here? I'm not sure, so I'll throw a spoiler warning into the title to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I don't know if "NOV" would have worked as a registry prefix. The "OV" in OV-101 actually stands for something (orbital vehicle). Plus, "NOV" is the abbreviation for "November." We don't need any yahoos popping in and saying, "The Enterprise was built in November because it says so on the hull!" I think using the number "101" would have been a nice homage to the favor NASA and the White House gave to Star Trek.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it also would have been more respectful to the crew of the USS Dauntless, NCC-01
(sorry, i hate bringing that up too)

(maybe they could have called it CVN-65)

I think any prefix besides NX would have been preferable, but i do like the idea of the Terran Starfleet having very low number desginations..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
September 6 was the anniversary of Treks firstr broadcast also.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.. in Canada!

I celebrate September 8th like any real American geek

In other 'NASA named it' type of stuff, i just read an article about Deep Space 1, an ion engine prototype journeying out of the solar system. Did we ask for that or did they just go ahead and name it to save themselves the trouble of getting our letters? I hope they launch 8 more!

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If DS1 is heading out of the solar system, then something has gone terribly wrong. Its current mission is to rendezvous with Comet Borrelly. The ship has been in space for nearly three years now. I think it completed all of its primary goals some time ago. (Such as testing the ion engine.)
capped
Member # 709

ooh allow me to correct my terminology.. its heading around the solar system.

we gotta give those NASA geeks more credit.. the things navigational sensors crashed and they wrote new software that would let it use data from its camera transmitter as navigational data.. from Earth, without ever touching the thing.

i probably described that wrong! please correct me! PLEASE!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stand up straight! Posture, posture! Now then...what's that? Chest out! Better. March!

DS1 was the first phase of the New Millennium Project, which is a pretty neat thing too. Deep Space 2, a set of probes designed to burrow into the Martian surface, was unfortunately being carried on the Mars Polar Lander. I'm not sure if there's any mission being planned with the Deep Space 3 name.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read where the designers of the Voyager probes wanted to call them Nomad!!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
Member # 709

They should have at least launched a Voyager VI.

I want to start a petition that has the UN officially change Osama bin Laden's name to 'Khan Noonien Singh' and then launch him into space. We might be able to get some continuity out of this after all.

But in 2053 are Star Trek fans going to demand a nuclear exchange?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'd have to cross him with a guinea pig first to get the whole Eugenic bit out of it.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps