Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Nostradamus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nostradamus
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plain and simple. :-)

I've heard about him and many of his most popular prophecies but haven't been interested in his work until now. You might think it's because of the WTC attack, but actually what made me raise an eyebrow was that he identified the "Second AntiChrist" by name, short of one letter, "Hister".

I read that about half of his more than a thousand predictions have come true, according to "historians" (hmm).

So I wonder, which would be the most credible and summarizing book written about Nostradamus, that is the most widely referred-to, lucid and widespread interpretation and analysis of the guy.
there must be some history book that stands out.
(Oh, I don't think I'll make an attempt on his original notes and manuscripts, that would be a bit much.

And yes, I tried the search engines and some book shops but got mostly novels and sci-fi stories based on the stuff. I'm sure there's enough of that.
So, any leads, crew?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got into those predictions. They're all so vague that they can be translated to fit any current situation.

I was thinking of First Wave though, now that it's over I wonder what Sci-Fi will do with Saturday nights or if they'll reair it beginning to end. A bit off topic I know...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very much off topic, I would say.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why off-topic? Nostradamus is a load of bollocks. First Wave - they cancelled it, did they? Interesting - is a load of bollocks. I've seen far less-connected subjects crop up in threads here.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That "Hister" thing is bullshit. It was created by people who were too stupid and/or ignorant to bother to do any research and find out that "Hister" is just an old name for the Danube River (or at least part of it; I've never been too clear on that).
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, you say Nostradamus is full of shit. Right, I'll do it alone, then. Thanks a lot.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nostradamus: The Complete Prophesies by John Hogue

Nostradamus and His Prophecies
by Nostradamus, Edgar Leoni

The Secrets of Nostradamus: A Radical New Interpretation of the Master's Prophecies by David Ovason

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't saying that ol' Nosty himself was full of shit. I can't make a call on that one way or the other. But the people who think that "Hister" was an almost-right spelling of "Hitler" don't know what they're talking about.
Nim
Member # 205

Fair enough. Jeff, nice linksah, maybe I'll make mine Amazon, would be the first time.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, wouldn't it be self-evident that Hitler is not the anti-christ because he's dead and we're still here?

--------------------
life creation in progress

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Maybe he just wasn't a very successful antichrist...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So what are we gonna do tonight Hister?"

"The same thing we do every night, try to take over the world."

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Who said that? The Rhine?
Nim
Member # 205

No, Donau. You know, Danube's inpronouncable sister. ;-)

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pronounced 'Doh-now'. Very simple actually. Don't know why the English needed to call it the Danube

And Nostradamus' poetic prophecies are always very vague and very very suggestive.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps