Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How Much Furniture Could YOU cram into ...

Author Topic: How Much Furniture Could YOU cram into ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... my apartment.

My parents just sold their house, and will be moving in a month. They gave me a coffee table, and a nice matching wood-frame sofa and chair.

Here's the problem.

I've got a studio apartment. Guessing completely randomly, it's about 14' by 18' feet (including closet, kitchen, & bathroom). When you walk in, the left wall is the sliding-glass door, the far wall is the kitchen and the bathroom (er, the bathroom is a seperate room, yes), the wall on the right is the closet. I've essentially only got one wall. Thankfully, I'm creative when I come to furniture.

I've got an IKEA modular bookshelf coming out from the bathroom door, making a hall to the bathroom (with the bookshelf on the left, and the closet on the right). Now, that same unit also goes out the other way (a 45 degree angle) forming a wall blocking off the kitchen. At the end of that bookshelf is a small shelf with my DVD collection.

On the other side of that bookshelf (since my kitchen has no counter space whatsoever), an old K-Mart desk serves as a microwave cart, and a small bookshelf serves as my pantry (dry-goods, cat food, cleaning stuff, etc.).

In the crutch of the "L"-bookshelves I've got a nice rocking-chair, a sofa-table, and a coffee-table. Now, where the sliding-glass door ends (towards the kitchen), I've got my TV/AV stuff set up ... the DVD player and N64 are on the TV cart, I've got a small dresser with my LD and VHS on top of that.

On my one actual wall ... I've got my computer desk to the left of the entry. Then I've got another IKEA unit (one of those open backed ones) coming out from the wall, and closing off my bed (futon) from the desk. The futon takes up the rest of the wall. Directly ahead of the door, there's an indent (the closet comes out from the wall), and I've got a tall IKEA Billy bookcase there.

Now, I'm getting more furniture. Where to put it? I'm thinking of moving the TV and AV stuff into the "L"-crutch, but that'll require buying an extension cord and a longer cable-cord (cable?) to reach the TV. Probably have to tape it down with duct tape, too ... hmmm ...

Then I'd put the sofa against the glass door (well, I won't need it during the winter). Arrange the chairs somehow ... you know, my apartment already seems pretty small. It's about to get a LOT smaller ... (d'oh!)

I should probably find a smaller computer desk. One that emphasizes stacking over spreading. Hmmmm.

I'm spending way too much analyzing this. I need to draw out a schematic ... maybe find a scanner ... AAAAAAAAAARRRRAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are IKEA bookshelves somehow fundamentally different from normal ones, that you have to keep specifying? Do they utilize some sort of subspace technology that allows them to be bigger on the inside than on the outside, so it's easier to fit other stuff into the room? Or do they have programmed AIs that will cause them to battle to the death any other furniture placed within three feet of them? Exactly what effect does their IKEAness have on the furnishing process, since it's apparently so important?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just the design. Open back, two of them modular ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps