Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I no longer trust auto dealers/mechanics

Author Topic: I no longer trust auto dealers/mechanics
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I an the product of car and computer geeks. My entire father's side of the family is involved in one or the other, or both, such as my cousin who has a BS in Computer Science but currently is a professional funny car driver.
Unfortunately, I got the computer genes, not the car genes. I am mechanically inept. Changing the oil in my own car is a challenge.

I have high respect for car geeks.

You would think that those responsible for managing said geeks would be knowledgeable, honest, etc.

I drive a '93 Chevy Blazer. 4x4. w/ ABS. Those who pay attention to such things know that Chevy did a recall on them a few years ago. It seems that the ABS on 4x4 models would, on occasion, forget that it can operate as a 2x4 and switch itself into 4x4 mode for no reason. This causes, in Chevy's own cursed words "extended stopping distances"

Of course, we found this out a few weeks after I had a minor fender bender while trying to stop in the rain...

It took nearly a year for the dealership to even acknowledge that a recall was going on (despite going up to the manager and shoving the letter from GM in their face)

It took months after that for them to 'fix' the problem.

I'm not sure exactly what they fixed. The brakes will still, upon occasion, do that "extended stopping distance" thing.

I no longer trust my brakes.

So, as I noted above, I don't even trust myself to change my own oil. The thing's also recently developed a cold idle/stall problem, so I took it into a local brand name shop for them to do an oil change/tuneup.

They find that the dealership I bought the thing from had not ever done maintenance to the car. Ever. Many parts that should have been replcaed tens of thousands of miles ago, haven't been. Among them, my feul filter, which they blame for the idle/stall problem when cold. And a suspension bar up front, which is bent and is causing some odd wear patterns.

Flash back to 9 months ago. My front passenger wheel bearings begin making noises. So I take that in for repair. Oops, the entire front wheel assembly needs to get replaced also, as it and the wheel bearing are a single component. You would have thought that they would have dicovered said bent bar during the realignment.

Back to the present. I paid them upwards of $500 to fix the problems. Gladly so, why should I believe that they weren't telling me the truth?

The idle problem didn't get fixed. I set up another appointment with them, making it exceptionally clear that they were to diagnose and solve the problem, at no cost. I got a call from corporate HQ the day after, and they confirmed that that is what the dealer WOULD do (read: Dealer has no choice in the matter)

I feel quite empowered as a consumer. Good call, corporate HQ.

So I take it back. "Oops, we can't find the problem because the car's computer doesn't begin troubleshooting the problems like this until a few minutes have elapsed since startup, and since by then the car's warmed up and the problem's gone away... Oh, but we can provide extensive diagnostics if you leave it overnight and pay $$$..."

I haven't gone back. I don't have the time to leave a car overnight. I live alone and the busses don't go anywhere near close to work. Okay, actually, they do, but I'd have to bus hop over 10 times to get there...

They also noted that my brake pads could probably do with replacing.

Flash back to last month. Over about two days, I lost my antifreeze entirely, but didn't realize it until after the fact... the thing nearly overheated before I could get it into a dealership maintenance department that was conveninently on a corner to the freeway...

I paid $1000 to get that fixed. They had to flush the system out three times, and it still didn't come clean... Hey, at least it runs quite a bit cooler than before.

They also noted I should get my brake shoes replaced.

So what do I do? I get them replaced.

Knowing what a PITA doing brakes is, I expect to be waiting for hours. I'm surprised when half an hour before they should be done, the guy doing them comes in and asks me to come out and look at something.

Disc brakes are pretty simple. There are two components - the wheel and the caliper that grinds against it to performt he stopping.

The caliper bits are held onto the right spot using a variety of mechanisims. The ones on my car are a set of bars that are threaded at each end, etc, etc.

The threaded bits on the axle side of the housing are gone.

The guy gets the rod right through it.

He says they've been like that for MONTHS, declares the thing unsafe, and has already started the search for a replacement.

That will take until tomorrow, because at that point it's 5:30 and all the places he could obtain one are closed.

So much for not having time to drop the car overnight.

Why am I so angry? Not one, but *TWO* different places had to perform major surgery on my car. Both of them had to do enough to note that the brake pads were grinding a little low. One would think that both of them would have had to take off, or at least alter the caliper bits in order to see this. (According to my most recent knowledge of what the things look like, circa 1993 when my father last did brakes on a family car)

I feel angry. I've been potentially swindled by not one, not two, but THREE different places.

Is there anyone I can actually *TRUST* with my car?

I also feel totally unsafe.

I've been driving around that car for years. It's only failed me two times - the fender bender and an odd stall before some train tracks.

What else is hiding in there, undetected?

*sigh*

I just hope they can get the work done tomorrow. Jubes is flying in for what was supposed to be a completely undisturbed weekend... no car == no picking her up, andor asking a friend to do so, which still == no going where we were going to go == SUCK.

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, that sucks.

I'm lucky: my folks have gone to the same mechanic for the past ten years, and they're very honest ... although, it can often be frustrating getting work done (just because, in the line of business I'm in, they tend to be expensive ... last time I had to replace the brakes, get a new serpentine belt, a tune-up, and a variety of other odds and ends which added up to $1400) ...

Can you rent a car? Or a cab? Best o' luck getting your vehicle fixed, you might want to look into hiring a lawyer. Sounds like that Chevy dealership has fucked you. It might also explain why I witnessed a Bronco fail to stop and crunch the rear of an Eclipse, but, hey ...

G' luck, Charles.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez. That does suck! I can feel your pain. You are lucky that you have a bus system though. Even if you have to bus hop 10 times to get where you need to go, that's better than nothing, which is exaclty what we have here in the 3rd world of the 1st would. A.K.A. Georgia. I would say, "Kill them all," but that probably wouldn't be a good thing to say givin current events.

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come to think of it, a lot of car dealerships are offering 0% interest on a new car purchase ... you might want to think about upgrading your transportation.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know anyone in your family that is a mechanic?..i think that when its someone related to you they work on it themselves and dont sabotage it, or give the special wink nod two taps on the nose signal to the guy whos gonna work on it that it is not a 'sap' car.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have anyone in the family even near where I am (they're in the Bay Area, I'm in Seattle)... as I noted above, my entire father's side are car guys.

I can't afford the payments on a new car.. or a used one, for that matter.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Have you thought about getting a lawyer? Or taking your complaint to Chevy's HQ? You can probably get them to send you a check (provided you've kept your "repair" records) ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the corporation said the mechanics would fix it, and they refused to, and that endangered your life, couldn't you have them arrested for attmepted murder, or something?

Probably not. But it's a nice thought...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can give you a ride if you need to go to Ellensburg, Charles. Not that I can imagine any possible reason why you would want to.
Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Yeah, I'm gonna sue them.

Waste my time and theirs. Really fucking good plan.

I've had it to here with lawsuits. The day I fucking sue someone is the day I fucking DIE.

No bitterness herel.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'S why I got a Saturn. Even though it's a GM company, it's really "not." And for a leetle bit extra, I now have a totally maintenance-free car. As long as I own that car, I can pull it in to a dealer & have it fixed, free of charge.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...you can get everything done free of charge? Dare I ask how? I mean, what kind of deal have you got where you can replace your tires for free?

Oh, and a little bit of news for all you Saturn owners out there (god only knows why there are so many...), Saturn is dropping the "Series" naming scheme within a few years. This trend can already be seen with the new Saturn VUE. No longer will there be an SC-Series, it is going to replaced by the Saturn ION.

There's also rumor of the 2002 Saturn Sky concept convertible becoming a production car (although it'll be a death-trap on wheels. Why do you think the Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible has been delayed nearly 3 years?)

Oh, and Charles, seriously, look into a little car called a KIA RIO. They cost $8,995 stock (which includes CD Player, A/C, Airbags, all the usual stuff), and they aren't dorky looking! You can even get them in puke green!

Oh, and there is no "Chevy HQ". You gotta go straight to the "General" (GM) if you want to complain.

Anyone else want to talk about cars? Anyone? Anyone...?

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It used to be the threat of lawsuit got them in line but now they seem to waste you money and theirs in fighting over it.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... I know that I'm way more paranoid than most people, but Kia generally = VERY poor safety ratings. And while most people don't care about those all that much, they should... *shudder*

And Charles-- I'm sorry 'bout the car.. that REALLY sucks... *sigh* Good luck.. Let me know how it turns out *hugs* Anything having to do with broken vehicles is a Very Bad Thing.

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that "Kia" is a really stupid name, as are their model names. :-)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps