Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th anthrax cases confirmed.

Author Topic: 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th anthrax cases confirmed.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.com/news/638169.asp

5 more in Florida, and 1 more at a Microsoft building. I think it's safe to say that avioding the word 'terrorism' is gonna become more and more difficult.

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now the question becomes, international or internal terrorism?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

My guess is internal. My mother pointed out that something as petty as sending a few letters to a few random people with the hopes that they will die via Anthrax exposure is not exactly Bin Laden's style. If he wanted to use bio-terrorism, he'd grab a can of Anthrax and have one of his goons deploy it in a highly populated building's ventilation system.
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point and it makes more sense then what we are seeing. This is probably some lunatics with delusions of terrorism trying to be cool in the big boys play ground. We'll just have to wait and see though.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here. It's some crackpot guy.
Although, I can't explain the Malaysia connection...

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only a can of Anthrax is easy to obtain.

Then again, maybe it is.

I read that initial symptoms of Anthrax resembles the flu. By the time it reaches the stages of symptoms resembling Meningitis and Pneumonia, it is already too late.

This is especially bad since flu season is almost here. Toronto is instituting an immunization campaign to combat the flu.

Anthrax is not the only problem. Another concern is Smallpox, which was eradicated quite a while ago due to efficient vaccination programs. Now Smallpox is all but non-existant, but so is the vaccine. The things that some people are saying is that if smallpox were to be used, we would be totally helpless as we basically threw away the means to combat this disease. It takes time to develop a vaccine, and by that time, the virus would be out of control.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't we still have the records of what the vaccine was? I mean, it's not like we have to go around figuring out what exactly counter-acts smallpox, we just have to mix up the ingrediants.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

If I remember correctly, the small pox vaccine was made from dead small pox viruses. These dead viruses would be injected into the human body to "teach" your immune system how to recognize live small pox viruses without you getting ill. So you see, you can't just whip up a vaccine. You need some dead small pox viruses. And we won't have enough of it if we find ourselves in need of a crash immunization campaign.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think that's right. Cowpox works, too. Maybe we should execute a preemptive biological strike and release cowpox into our own water supply. Bingo! No more threat of smallpox.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MIB
Ex-Member

LOL I was listening to a post ofice rep. speaking about the spread of anthrax on MSNBC. She stated, and I quote, "This is not what the U.S. mail was inteded for!" hehe. I thought the U.S. would be there whenever you wanted to spread deadly spores! I guess not though. Damn it.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't the last remaining smallpox viri locked in safes in the US and Russia? I remember hearing that a long time ago...
MIB
Ex-Member

Yes, they are, but there can be plenty of small pox around that nobody knows about. Hence the huge problem we will have if some how, somewhere, some crack pot get's his/her hands on some small pox.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The U.S. and Russia are the only nations that have registered their stockpiles. It is always possible that other nations or extranational groups have hidden stores of their own, though.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that bin Laben is behind the Anthrax cases like other people think. A few weeks ago people where skeptical whether he had enough power and orginization to hijack 4 planes at the same time. Saddam Huesien is a repeat offender for chem/bio warfare, i'd be more surprized to see bin laden claiming to be behind the anthrax ( i havn't watched the news that closely for a week, so if he has plz correct me) than Saddam heusien. He may have decided to strike at america at this time since they'd be paying more attention to Afganistan (is there an H in there somewheres?). i shoulkd start a new thread bout this little idea

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps