Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My turn for help on a computer/internet issue

Author Topic: My turn for help on a computer/internet issue
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the problem that I just cannot seem to solve. It's beginning to drive me a bit nutty, so I'll ask for y'all's help before I decide that my laptop needs a reformatting.

I read quite a few webcomics; they are usually updated daily. Now, some of those have been stuck on the same day for quite a while. Two in particular, www.itswalky.com and www.crfh.net are stuck on the comic for October 3rd. Now, I know that they have been updated since then. The comics for the missing days are in the archive. The discussions in those comics' forums don't mention any issues with late updates and missing comics. In addition, www.straightdope.com is still stuck on the same page from October 3rd. And, yep, that has been updated every weekday since then.

It's primarily these sites that causing the issues for me. However, there are some quirks. First, the other webcomics I read are hosted by the same company on the same servers as the two I mentioned. They're being updated regularly, and I'm seeing those updates. The message board and the column archives at The Straight Dope are also working as usual. It's just a problem with these specific sites and (plus a few other ones) where they are updated regularly but I'm not seeing it.

So far, I've cleared all my cookies, deleted all of my temporary internet files, scandisked, defragged, thrown a tantrum and cried, cleared my history, throw a math book across the room, and cried some more. I'm using Internet Explorer 5.0 (it's the only browser I have), and this is the first time this problem has cropped up. I have done nothing to IE or my computer that could have caused this to happen (as far as I know).

Anyone have some ideas? I'm at a loss.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick your computer. It works for me. Then again, how kicking your computer solves my computer's problems is beyond me.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping for a solution other than percussive maintenance. I'm a very solidly built person with a lot of mass and force behind him. My computer is a four-pound Gateway laptop. If I kick my computer, she's going to die.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is your ISP? College or workplace?

You're probably behind a caching proxy.

Talk to your ISP...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Yeah, I connect through my dorm room's T1 line.

So, what you're saying, is that this could be a foul-up on my college's end of the matter? I just got a notice in my mailbox that the housing department installed a second router for my complex and the campus as a whole is still dealing with network connection speeds from Tropical Storm Allison (that'll teach 'em to put all the servers in the basements). I'm still on good terms with the systems analyst, I'll talk to him about it. Thanks!

Of course, if it is their problem, it'll be fixed about a quarter hour after Hell freezes over.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps