Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Adobe Illustrator vs Photoshop

Author Topic: Adobe Illustrator vs Photoshop
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the diff? I was told that Illustrator includes Photoshop, not sure about that though.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooope.

The two programs overlap somehat in terms of capabilities, but are independent software. Illustrator leans more towards the "drawing from scratch" side of things and always struck me as a little counterintuitive in terms of functionality and with a steepish learning curve. Photoshop is a balls-out image editor that's usually best for mangling with some sort of imported material (ie scans and such), although you can draw from scratch. It's a little bit more "fun" and lends itself to web graphics far better than Illustrator.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illustrator = line art program (vectors... think Flash) that can handle some pixel art.

Photoshop = pixel art program (raster... think a GIF) that can handle some line art

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally for versatility and usability I prefer Paint Shop Pro, though my job usually requires me to use Photoshop and Illustrator. Course Adobe products are known for power and bad online documentation--not usability.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool job. I use Photoshop 5.5 for all the graphics on my website. I've tried Illustrator, didn't much care for it and uninstalled. Instead I have Corel Draw 9.0.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps