Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What did your ancestors do ... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What did your ancestors do ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... in The War?

I don't mean Vietnam, or the Gulf. Nor Korea, or 'The War To End All Wars.' Whenever anyone mentions 'The War' at a Benson Family Reunion, there's only one War they're talking about.

World War II.

My Grandfather -- George C. Benson -- had sixteen brothers and sisters. Two brothers served in Europe in WWI, and my Grandfather -- a Captain in the National Guard -- landed in Europe a few weeks after D-Day. He doesn't talk about what happened over there much, but the top half of his ear is still over there somewhere.

Other Great-Uncles and assorted Cousins also served in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific. My mother's father (he died before I was born, so it's hard to think of him as 'grandpa') went to Pearl Harbor after the attack and ran a Navy supply depot. Ironicly, quite a few cousins of his -- his parents came over from Germany after World War I -- served in the Germany army.

I don't think I've ever known anyone as strong as my Grandpa -- I've got great memories of him cutting paths through the woods on his farm in his mid-eighties. He's in his late nineties now, having outlived all his brothers and sisters (the first of whom died in a trench in France so many years ago). It doesn't cease to amaze me with such reverence they speak about Franklin D. Roosevelt (my grandfather to this day refuses to believe he couldn't walk), General Eisenhower, and the men they served with.

What did your ancestors do during the War?

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather fought the Japanese and China Communists.

He didn't really avoid the topic of WWII and the fightings he's been in, but he did forbid me to went professional military.

According to him, he's got some pretty close encounters, but amazingly, he came out of all these war without a single scratch.

After retreating to Taiwan, he was in charge of a island very close to China mainland where he organized special recons deep into mainland with Taiwanese army special units.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killed Romans, mostly.

Oh, you were talking about more recent ancestors...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my grandfather was part of the resistance group in the Philippines but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my grandmother when I see her later this week.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know my paternal grandfather was in the US Army Air Force, and I think he was somewhere around India, at least for a while. Other than that, I don't know.

My maternal grandfather was in the US Marine Corps, on a ship at Okinawa. A kamikaze plane crashed into it, and he had to jump overboard, injuring his back. After that, he was part of the occupation force in China.

As a matter of fact, this link has a picture of the airplane-shaped hole in the side of the ship...

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father's father served as an ambulance driver in the swedish readiness forces. Our hundred year lasting neutrality notwithstanding, there were some bad times in Sweden as well, especially at the border to norway.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my grand father served in Europe during WW2. One my ancestors was a rum smuggler in Australia while it was still a prison colony. Hey! The inmates needed rum! What can I say? I also have ancestors that were part of the Catabwa (spelling?) tribe of Native Americans.
IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A shitload of foraging & gathering, I'd imagine.

I would think that somewhere back in the line, some of my ancestors were dying in showers & ovens. Others closer up to my twiglike nature in the tree were no doubt shopping a lot in New York.

I never bothered asking anyone. Everyone of then is dead, & anyone who's not I'm not much in the mood for talking with.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfathers were on opposite sides. Not the same theaters though thankfully. I'd hate for them to have had to shoot each other before my parents were concieved.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Killed Romans, mostly.

Sol, the question was what did they do in World War II ... did you fail to read?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dad spent 8 months in a priosn camp. Uncle Wallace died two weeks before VE day. 5 of Moms six brothers served, as did Wallaces brothers.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAD? How frelling old ARE you, Kosh?

My maternal grandfather was a Seargeant during WW2, stationed at a base in Mississippi. His brother was killed in the invasion of Normandy. My paternal grandfather drove jeeps in Europe. He never spoke a word about it to anyone after he came back. Not one word.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It's not necessarily a question of how old Kosh is, but at what age his Dad had him ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father served as a second lieutenant in the US Army Air Corp during World War II. He was stationed at a base in Australia, I believe. He didn't see any action during the war. During a flight, the engine on his airplane failed, and he and his plane crashed into a barn. My dad broke his an arm and a collarbone, I think. This was around 1942 or so. His brother served in the US Navy during World War II. I can't remember which ship or rank, however. I know that he wasn't at Pearl Harbor on December 7th. He was part of the occupying forces for the small islands in the Pacific (nope, can't remember for certain either). My dad's other brother also served in the US Army, but he was a medic and not a soldier.

As an interesting side note, I was rustling through some stuff in my room this weekend and found the enlistment document for my paternal great-grandfather. He served in the Union Army during the US Civil War.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know what they did, much less who my ancestors were.

The only ancestor I do know of is my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather, Aleksandr Pushkin. Well give or take a great.

I know my grandmother was just a child during WWII. Fled Russia just before the rise of the Soviet Union to France. Where, years later, met my grandfather, an American Air Force officer. After my mom was born in Paris, they came to America.

That's pretty much it.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps