Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Plane crashes in NY! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Plane crashes in NY!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only just heard on CNN. Looks like a 'regular' accident, but nothing conclusive at this point. Hope this isn't the beginning of something bigger...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard about it on Howard Stern. I don't know if it's terrorist or not. Planes have crashed before afterall.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Airbus A300, 246 + 9 crew

An engine fell of just after takeoff.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blew off, that's what I heard.

Looks like severe mechanical failure.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happened in Chicago a few years back. Engine fell off, ruined a flap, and the plane flipped over and crashed in a trailer park.

It's an Airbus A-300, two engines, good safety record. FAA didn't know anything about trouble until they got calls from witnesses...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tell me that plane mechanics around the country are going psycho now too....

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, we won't tell you

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard there was an explosion reported before the crash, also the wing was said to be an fire while the plane was in the air.

So a blown off engine is indeed more accurate.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the engine probably ripped through the wing and cut up the fuel tanks.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut the comedy Mike. This is kinda serious.

From what I've heard, it apparently went down in a residential area of Queens. Four buildings were hit.

Again...all early reparts so I'm not sure how accurate. I'm at work and have only gotten sporadic details.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I was in stitches over Mike's statement, too.

quote:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- For residents near the beaches of New York's borough of Queens, a quiet Veterans Day holiday brought a fresh taste of catastrophe Monday.

Numerous residents, many with children home for the day, saw American Airlines Flight 587 catch fire and plunge to earth Monday morning. Black smoke billowed over the neighborhood from the crash scene and from at least three other sites, where flaming debris caused other fires.

More than 40 fire trucks and 200-plus firefighters were dispatched to the scene.

The neighborhood is home to numerous New York firefighters, who took heavy losses in the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center.

"The Rockaway community was hit hard between the firefighters and civilians who were lost at the World Trade Center," said Chief Jimmy Trudden of the Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department. "For this to happen in this neighborhood, it's tragic. I can't put it into words."

Witnesses said they saw an explosion on one side of the plane before the crash, but different accounts placed the explosion on different sides of the aircraft. Ethan Moses said he saw the aircraft burning from its left side, then the aircraft's left engine fell off.

"It tilted to the left slightly and it made a nosedive, straight down," Moses said.

Firefighters said one of the Airbus A300's two engines fell off, crashing into a house and setting it on fire.

Another woman described the neighborhood around the crash site as a scene of "complete and utter terror. Everybody is so distraught and upset and in shock," she said.

When the plane approached, "I thought it was like the Concorde and it was flying too low," she said. "Then it hit. It was like a bomb exploded."

The crash occurred about 5 miles from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, where the jet had just taken off for the Dominican Republic's capital Santo Domingo.

Since the September 11 terrorist attacks, U.S. warplanes have patrolled the airspace around New York. Susan Locke, who lives about five blocks away, said she thought the noise at first was a fighter jet.

"I looked out the window and saw a plane nose-dive, straight down," she said.

Phyllis Paul, who lives near the crash site, said a "big, silvery piece of metal" fell behind her house before the plane went down. Paul, who was eating breakfast when she heard the plane, got her 10-year-old son and got out of the house.

"I was sitting having breakfast and I heard the engines very loud," she said. "They were loud and low, and because of what happened September 11, it gave me a chill."

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given the wisespread damage I'm not too hopeful about any survivors from the plane. I thought it was good that (White House spokesman) Fliescher isn't commiting to anything yet. So far all we have is coincidence: Veteran's Day, New York, Queens (traditionally an area where members of the NY emergency services live). . . I thought Airbuses had a quite good safety record although I could be mistaken there. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of any group of people who don't deserve this, it's the NY Firefighters ... (where many of them apparently live)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The BBC reported that the engine fell onto a petrol station (didn't cause a fire thankfully). Is that true?

Also, people here are saying it's a terrorist attack. I agree with you people in thinking (not to mention hoping) that it was a mechanical failure and just happened to happen two months and one day after the September 11th incident by conincidence, especially in light of the fact that it only had two engines and was probably pretty badly damaged when the engine blew/snapped off.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I wonder if the airlines or the Feds checked who the mechanics are working on the airplanes ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps