Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Biggest Corporate Collapse in History

Author Topic: The Biggest Corporate Collapse in History
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least, that is what the news is saying about Enron Corporation as it teeters on the edge of filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

For a brief history of Enron, it was formed in 1985 from two Houston-area energy company's. It soon embarked on a long tenure as a mover and shaker in the energy industry. It currently dominates the natural gas and electricity markets as well as delivers various commodities. In 1999, it paid $100 million to have the Astros' new stadium named Enron Field. And in Summer 2000, Enron and other energy giants faced allegations of price-gouging in California. I think Congress is holding/was going to hold/held hearings on the matter.

A few weeks ago, Enron announced third quarter losses in the range of $600 million. At about the same time, the House Energy and Commerce Committee announced it would hold hearings on the shady accounting practices of Enron led by its former CFO. It appears that the former CFO hid a lot of Enron's liabilities in off-balance-sheet transactions. These transactions were with partnerships that were owned by the former CFO. And this was apparently all done with the blessing of the Board of Directors to boot. And, the Security Exchange Commission decided to start investigating Enron as well for its accounting practices.

With Enron facing all of these problems Dynegy Incorporated announced that it would merge with Enron (this was about two weeks ago). Dynegy happens to be Enron's hometown rival. The deal would have Dynegy buyout Enron for $9 billion. A week later after Enron's stock continued to fall, it would cost Dynegy only $5 billion to buy their rival. Then yesterday happened.

Yesterday, Dynegy backed out of the deal when it learned that Enron was on even shakier ground financially than it had revealed to Dynegy. In addition, Standard&Poor's as well as two other credit-rating firms cut Enron's rating to "junk status." This was after Enron's 10Q financial disclosure revealed that it had to settle an immediate debt of $690 million and needed a cash infusion of $1 to $3 billion to maintain its core operations.

Now, Enron is almost fully-expected to file for bankruptcy. A year ago, Enron's stock was trading for over $84.00 a share. Today, Enron's stock closed at $0.36 a share. That company has 21,000 employees in its worldwide operations, and it looks like most are going to find themselves unemployed soon. A large group of its contracted workers have just found out that tomorrow is their last day at work.

So, it looks like this is history in the making. In a little less than a year, Enron has gone from energy titan to facing imminent collapse. I feel really sorry for all of its employees, especially since my grandfather used to work for Enron as an engineer. Hundreds (and possibly thousands) of people are going to find themselves without jobs as we head into the Holiday season. The job market isn't real strong in Houston at the moment, so the immediate future for them looks quite bleak.

All in all, this is really quite sad, and I feel for all of the workers who are going to struggling for employment now.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like Enron dug its own grave. Companies need to keep better track of what those trusted to run them are doing. The government should fine that CFO and others responsible and use the money to provide un-employment benefits to the laid-off workers.

On the bright side, even with the economic slowdown, tips are good

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'll dispute that tips are good. My sister has started a job as a waitress, and her tips have been pretty lousy so far. I hope business picks up for her, cause she's helping me buy our mom's birthday present in February.

Anyway, yeah, something is going to happen to the people responsible for this. CFO Andrew Fastow was fired at the end of October when all of this started coming to light. However, I think the CEO Ken Lay and the Board of Directors may share in the responsibility since they approved a lot of the Fastow's decisions. So, it's going to be messy. It also looks like the House Energy and Commerce Committee is now going to probe Enron's downfall instead of Fastow's financial dealings.

On the plus side, though, it looks like we won't be facing an energy crisis like we did last summer at the moment. The energy companies all have adequate supplies for the winter and spring. So, the odds of another economic downturn are minimal to non-existant. On the other hand, I don't know what much is going to happen to the employees. Those working on Enron's northern pipeline system are likely to be absorbed into Dynegy since they are going to be taking control of it from Enron. As for the others... ::shrug::

I wish 'em luck, that's for sure.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... fined? Excuse me? Did I miss a law being broken?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that you missed the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the the Security Exchange Commission looking into what their old CFO was up to, I'd say "yes, you did."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Here's an archive of the stories that the Houston Chronicle has been running on the Enron saga since late October: LINK.

At this point in time, I can't say for certain whether any laws have been broken or not. All the reports I've watched and read haven't really gone into the legal aspect a great deal. However, there are enough irregularities that lawsuits have been filed. I think there are currently four class action lawsuits that have been filed against Enron and/or key personnel on behalf of employees and shareholders.

Since this mess is still ongoing and unfolding, the HECC and the SEC are not likely to conclude their investigations for some time. In fact, the HECC isn't going to start hearings until sometime in mid-December. The investigations are certainly going to focus on the balance sheets and debt records of the past four years. These are the ones that involve the whole mess with Fastow and the off-balance-sheet transactions. The investigations are also probably going to focus on Enron's accounting oversight, and the HECC is probably going to investigate SEC for not discovering Enron's improprieties sooner.

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's interesting is that Enron was pegged as the model for energy companies in the 21st century. It would seem that model needs to be revised.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Aye, that they should.

Anyway, the bad news just keeps coming in. Stock ended at $0.26 a share at closing today. Turns out that a lot of the employees of Enron had their retirement plans and pensions tied into Enron's stock. It seems the generous stock options is what attracted a lot of those people to join Enron. Now, they have nothing to show for their work, really. The company that manages all of the retirement plans for Enron employees froze the accounts when Enron's stock fell sharply. The employees never had a chance to save any of their retirement funds when the stock sank below a dollar.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps