Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How to pick a hosting service... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How to pick a hosting service...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any advice? I've gotta have something to tell my YM Monday when we have a meeting about the website I built. What I'm looking at at the moment is this company's "Extreme Hosting" plan, but I don't know whether it provides what I need or not. Basically, I just need sufficient web space, which it seems to have, and a .org domain name, which I'm not sure about. I'm also not up on what kind of quality these things provide. Anyone know anything that can help me out?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FutureQuest. We use them for Flare.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it depends on how big your website is going to be, and what kind of stuff it's going to contain. If it's got the potential to grow rather large, the bandwidth could become restrictive on many hosting plans. (My site, for example, has broken 2 GB the past six months in a row.)

I would recommend www.burlee.com -- it offers an "unlimited plan" which has no limits on either web space or bandwidth, for around US$13 per month. (There are a few conditions, but none of them are unreasonable for most websites.)

My site has been hosted by this company for a year and a half now, and I've never had a problem with their service. Their support desk is very helpful, and they offer a wide range of features including CGI, Perl, Java, SSI, and other useful stuff.

http://www.burlee.com/webhosting/index.asp

(If you do choose this service, please mention to them that you were referred. I get a discount for referring new customers! )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Unlimited" == scam, in general.

Burlee isn't a bad host. Just beware many hosts that claim to have "unlimited" anything.

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Regarding the .org domain... Are you looking for something like someoneelsesdomain.org/omegasgroup or something like omegasgroup.org. If it's the former, I'm not sure why you'd need a .org. If it's the latter, then it has nothing to do w/ your host. You buy the domain on your own.
Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Yes, NEVER let the host buy the domain for you. You'll often find yourself screwed...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so buy the domain name seperately. Gotcha.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
"Unlimited" == scam, in general.

Burlee isn't a bad host. Just beware many hosts that claim to have "unlimited" anything.

Oh, definitely. I checked it out as best I could, and read their terms and conditions all the way through to try to find loopholes. I didn't find anything that seemed like a scam or unreasonable conditions.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could, of course, always set up your own server

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleh, I got free hosting. No ads, 70MB, unlimited bandwidth, and free domain name.

It's called: Using a friend's server plan. What you do is get a friend with a server and beg him to host your site.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.iboost.com/build/webhosting/1066.htm

I'll only consider Burlee when Canada, USA, and Britain becomes Communist.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Shit. That does not inspire much confidence.

Thanks for the link to that article. Though I can't do much about it now (my website is pre-paid through next August), it definitely warrants a check of their Terms of Service.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to give this a nice bump, since I need to know some things about doing this too. For me, it's moving my personal website off of the AOL servers. I think I might have a webhosting service picked out, but there's a few other things I'd like to know.

First, what would be an ideal amount of bandwidth per month? I've seen packages that offer everything from 2 gb/month to 15 gb/months (ignoring the unlimited traffic offers). What would be about right, and how could I gage what would best serve my needs?

Second, who should I go through in order to reserve a domain name? I know of Network Solutions and Register, but I'm uncertain as to whether I should go with either. Network Solutions is like $70, and I can't find pricing for Register. Are there cheaper domain registration services out there?

Third, once I have a domain name, how do I get it to lead to my website? Is there a control panel or something I can use to specific an IP address or URL?

Fourth, is there anything else I should look for in a webhosting service of domain registration service? Anything you all can advise me that I might overlook?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
make sure they let you view your pictures on other sites, not just through an html file. Any free hosting i find (and some of the paid ones) dont let you URL your pics into forums like this one.. aggravatingly enough..

and dont let me tell you about exceeding your daily allocated data transfer....grr..

my friend just got a domain for like 10 or 15 bucks a year, but im not sure what came with it.. its from geocities

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, webhosting is easy-- date a guy that works at an ISP, stay in decent standings with him after the breakup, and thge benefits will last for years

The last hosting account I put together with him is $125 a year for unlimited e-mail addresses, all of the cgi support and other stuff that I'd EVER need, and 50 MB of webpspace..... pretty good for something that's just going to host a small church site

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps