Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Favorite Bond actor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Bond actor
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget the films, who is the best Bond actor?

Here are mine:
1.Connery
2.Dalton
3.Moore
4.Brosnan
5.Lazenby

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you possibly rate Dalton above Brosnan? I mean, hello ... ? Hell, how do you rate *anyone* but Connery above Brosnan?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's kinda unfair since Lazenby was only in the one Bond film, don't you think? Not a whole lot of material to compare the others with.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Snay, perhaps the Dr. has seen only one Brosnan film? The worst one of his, Tomorrow Never Dies, maybe?

Here are mine:
Connery
Brosnan
Dalton
Moore
Lazenby

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How you can rate TND below TWINE is illogical and senseless. For that matter, how you can rate any of the Brosnan films above GoldenEye is just pure Omegadity.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now pay attention, Snay.
I never rated any Bond film higher than Goldeneye. It is my favorite Bond film (along with Goldfinger.)
And, only a fool would consider TND better than TWINE. Why, the villian's plot wouldn't even work: if he started a war to launch his network, there would be no commercials for awhile, so... no money.

--------------------
Meh

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalton was Bond in my first Bond experience. This contributes to my placement of Dalton on my list.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
if he started a war to launch his network, there would be no commercials for awhile, so... no money.

Key word ... "For a while" ... but once that "while" ended, he'd have a complete monopoly and he'd be all set. Besides, he's a pretty wealthy guy -- look at all the cool toys he got. He can afford no 'Johnsons & Johnsons' Baby Shampoo' commercials for a few months or even years, I'd say. Besides, as we saw early in the film, the dude was the Bill Gates of the Bond universe -- or did you forget he told one of his goons to release the bugged software?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Connery
Brosnan
Moore
Lazenby
Dalton

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After spending some quality time in meditation on the rankings, I have come to a suitable conclusion.

From Best to Worst, here they are:
1. George Lazenby
2. Roger Moore
3. Timothy Dalton
4. Sean Connery
5. Pierce Brosnan

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your taste in Bond Actors = Jeff's taste in films.

Unless you meant "from worst to best"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Nope. I meant from Best to Worst. That's what I wrote.

--------------------

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My take, from best to "worst:"

1. Sean Connery: He embodies and epitomizes James Bond 007. Though the part of James Bond does not often require much "range" from an actor, he exuded the coolness and deadliness of a sauve spy who would make love to you, then kill you, and Connery did that just by standing around and "being Bond." Also, in my opinion, Sean Connery is the most accomplished "Bond" actor outside of his Bond role.

2. (tie) Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton: Like Sean Connery (and Roger Moore) Pierce Brosnan, for lack of a better term, exudes (a certain kind of) "Bondness." Regardless of one's opinion of his acting range and/or skills, he has become undeniably associated with the role, and he will go down in history as an "important" Bond actor. Personally, I think he is a pretty good actor, and I cringe at the thought of Roger Moore attempting to act out the emotional scenes that Brosnan has helped introduce to the past few Bond movies. Likewise, Timothy Dalton is also a pretty good actor, though I do not consider "his Bond" iconic. His performances, however, were fairly faultless, whether or not you liked his version of Our Man.

4. Roger Moore: In his own words: "My acting range runs the gamut from A to B."

5. George Lazenby: Above, I put "worst" in quotation marks because I do not consider Lazenby's performance to be bad. Considering that he was a model with no acting experience, I think he performed rather well. Again, picture Roger Moore trying to act out the emotional scenes. That said, "Lazenby's Bond" is utterly forgettable and uniconic.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to tie Connery and Brosnan. Connery was a great Bond when he played the part. Brosnan is a great "modern" Bond.

Both Brosnan and Connery had that great, cool, calm wit.

Dalton was wooden. I remember seeing one of his films a little while ago...I think it was License To Kill... I almost didn't make it through. He just seemed so emotionless. Just didn't work for me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
And, only a fool would consider TND better than TWINE. Why, the villian's plot wouldn't even work: if he started a war to launch his network, there would be no commercials for awhile, so... no money.

I agree. In my opinion, the conflict Carver intended to start would have either developed into a brief exchange, perhaps numbered in hours, or World War III. Indeed, the former seemed to be part of Carver's plan since he indicated his Chinese collaborator would sue for peace as soon as Beijing was bombed. If so, how profitable would the few COMMERCIAL-LESS "Special Reports" that would likely comprise the coverage be? At least they would be more profitable than if the conflict turned into World War III . . .

Carver's only real profit would come from his exlcusive Chinese broadcast rights, assuming General Chang lived up to his end of the bargain. Plot problems aside, "Tomorrow Never Dies" also suffers from too few and rather unexotic locales, which they do not even show the local color of (Hamburg--ooh, that's exotic; and the Far Eastern locales just cover territory seen (better) in "The Man With the Golden Gun"), too few outfits (only two suits), and too many retreads: a megalomaniac (at least his motive was greed), a thuggish aryan henchman (see: Donald "Red" Grant, Vargas, Hans, Gunther, some guy from "For Your Eyes Only," and some guy from "The Living Daylights"), a car (though setting the chase in a parking garage/car park was inspired, in my opinion), etc. "Tomorrow Never Dies" is a high-tech, lavish movie with excellent action sequences, but, in my opinion, only a middling Bond movie.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps