Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How to set up a Christmas tree

Author Topic: How to set up a Christmas tree
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the hell do you do it? Any tips. My mom and I were trying, but the damn thing keeps tilting. We can't seem to get it centered and stable.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lean it against a wall, I'd say. Or, better yet, buy one of those stands with screws that tighten into the base to hold it. Or, get one that isn't heavy on any one side.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of tree are you setting up? Is it a real one or an artificial one?

I've grown up with artificial Christmas trees, and all of the ones I've seen or had have come with a metal base with adjusting screws to center the tree. Have someone hold up the tree at a level or close enough level position so that you can tighten the screws in the base. If the tree leans, use thick pieces of paper as shims and stick them under the stand legs to balance the tree out. In this situation, I rug that sits over the stand is a particularly good idea.

My cousins have always had real trees, and I've helped them set them up as well. Real Christmas trees are by far the hardest to set up. They had to buy the stand seperate, but it was similar to artificial tree stand I mentioned above (adjusting screws, etc.). A good idea is to scrape the bark off of the bottom three or four inchs of the trunk so that the screws get a proper grip. Other than that, it's the same procedure to set up as with the artificial trees. Have someone hold it while you screw it into place. Shim it into level.

If you have any sort of Christmas tree stand other than a four-legged metal stand with adjusting screws, go out and buy one. I've never had a problem with one of those stands. I'd bet K-Mart and Walmart and Target have lots of designs and price ranges for them. I say check it out.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to find a low gravity environment.. say, Luna or one of the bigger asteroids.. just hang the tree from the ceiling with fishing line so it doesnt float away.

If that doesnt work, i hear that the Judaism is nice this time of year.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it's a real tree, and yes it's a stand with four screws.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....

My guess would to be, you should have checked to see if the actual center of the tree is straight or not. Or the bottom for that matter. If it's slightly curved at the bottom, try and cut it off. The tree doesn't have to actually be flat on the pan, you just need it straight up for when you attach the screws. What's touching the pan doesn't matter really, it's the screws that are the important part.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The359:
What's touching the pan doesn't matter really, it's the screws that are the important part.

Words to live by at ANY time of year.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 3-step process to set up a Christmas tree by Michael_T:

Step 1: Get tree into the location desired. If a door or hallway is in the way, use a large window unless the residence is an apartment.

Step 2: Place tree in the tree stand. If tree does not stay due to gravity, consider using a nailgun.

Step 3: Call any bored individuals who would be desperate enough to decorate a tree and make an apple martini and relax as you watch your tree decorated.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most important thing in setting up a tree is to make the cut on the bottom as level as possible. If it is not level it will fall over. The second most important thing is to swear a lot when you are putting it up. I don't know why this helps but I have never been able to put one up without swearing. Sorta a Christmas tradition.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps