Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Holiday ... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Holiday ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, just to preface, 'legal disclaimer' ... I don't celebrate the religious aspects of Christmas (no church for this Catholic!), but I do enjoy giving presents to family and so.

Actually, one of the things I've liked most about getting older is I look forward to Dec. 25th to give much more then I care to recieve.

Anyway, Monday is shopping day ... thats the day I'm heading out and buying presents for my parents and sister.

* DVD Player for my folks. They love renting movies, and if I don't buy it for them, they'll still be watching VHS in 15 years (they didn't buy a CD player until last year ... honestly)

* The Princess Bride - DVD also for my folks. It's their favorite movie -- and mine, too.

* "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" for my Mom. She read the first Harry Potter book for a job she applied for at a library, and although she didn't get the job, she said she liked the book ... so, why not, right?

* "The New City: A Novel" by Stephen Amidon for my Dad. The book is a satiric look at Columbia, MD ... a planned community that didn't quite work as planned. Set in the '60's, the book illustrates the tragic turns that follow after a misunderstanding between the white lawyer and black manager who run the city. Since we lived in Columbia for a number of years, it seems oddly appropriate.

* "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card for Emily (my sister). Really, I've got to thank Simon for alerting me to this book. It's a modern re-telling of Sleeping Beauty and is really good, I think she'll like it.

* "Briar Rose" by Jane Yolen for my sister. Also a re-telling of Sleeping Beauty, I think I'd rather quote from the back cover: It is an old, old tale, the German story of Briar Rose, the Sleeping Beauty. Now one of America's most celebrated writers tells it afresh, set this time in the forests patrolled by the German army during World War II. A tale of castles, of mists and thorns, or a beautiful sleeping princess, and an astonishing revelation of death and rebirth.

* "The Complete Idiot's Travel Guide to Hawaii" for my sister. Since she's spending next semester over in Hawaii, I think this'll be great for her.

* A Big Stuffed Frog for my sister. Probably have to go to Toys "R" Us for this one ... my sister loves frogs, especially Kermit, so I think she'll get a kick out of this gift.

* For my friend Keith, The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated as an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him secretly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill - and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enough with the miniscule writing already! Christ I've got a headache as well as eye-strain from reading all that!

Nice to see that you are a family guy and actually enjoy giving stuff to people. I have problems thinking of things to get my family - they all buy stuff as they need it! ARRRH! What a nightmare birthdays and christmas are!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same is true with my family. We usually just give each other some cheap trinkets, but mostly cash so we can buy our own "perfect gift."
IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait, I'm supposed to GIVE stuff to other people?

Geez, I never knew...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been in a pretty strained financial situation, so my gift-giving hasn't exactly been on the level that I wish. In spite of that, I've always managed to save some money to get my family and closest friends something for the holidays. This year isn't going to be much different despite the fact that I have a good-paying job and the ability to splurge on gifts this year.

My sister and I are saving up a lot of money to buy our mother a really big and really nice gift on her birthday this February. She's turning half a century old, so we're going to make a big event out a day that she'd not have to deal with.

Still, I do have to do some shopping. I gotta get gifts for my father, mother, and sister at the very least. I still have no idea what to get them; I haven't even attempted to shop for them yet. I guess I need to get moving on that.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only had an income for two months. Only one person that I've ever really bought anything for, and she's... well, not a consideration any more.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're friend should really like the Farseer Trilogy, Snay. I have read it twice in the last two months, I liked it so much. If he likes it, you may want to tell him about the sequel to the trilogy, the Tawny Man Series, the first book of which comes out sometimes in January. The first book of this sequel is called "Fool's Errand," and if you have read the series, you'd be interested in it as well.

If you haven't read it, but plan to, let me warn you ahead of time - this series is very depressing.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the Farseer trilogy many a year ago, back when it first came out. I only just found out about the continuation of the Fitz story, but I'm eagerly looking forward to it.

I didn't care as much for The Liveship Traders books ... but I gotta say, it was cool that both take place in the same 'world' ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate getting and giving money for Christmas. I mean, I like it in a "ooh, I got �20 for doing nothing" kind of way, but I hate it for two reasons.

1/ It's really lazy.

2/ It's easy to compare. If different people buy you proper presents, you don't think "Hmm, he got me a DVD, worth �15, and he got me a Harry Potter book, worth �10, so my first friend likes me a third more". With money though, you automatically think that. I got �10 off so and so, �20 of so and so, and �50 of her. You rank them.

3/ It's really hard to by presents for certain people, but that's part of the challenge and the fun.

I occasionally buy christmas presents early in the year. If I see something that I know a mate will really like, I'll buy it and put it away for his or her bithday or Christmas. But I am great. Rargh!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Money == good. I hate getting actual presents, because they're rarely what I want. And I don't rank people by it. If one person gives me $10, and another $20, I just assume they have different ideas of what makes a good present. Just like some people are willing to pay $20 for a product that someone else wouldn't pay more than $10 for.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Antagonist,

I think there is a conspiracy against 'Assassin's Quest.' I went to Barnes & Noble, Borders, Walden, and three used stores today looking for it. I got the first two, but no luck on 'Quest'

Have you read 'Lords of the Sky' by Angus Wells? It's good!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good thing that I ask my family what they want for Christmas, at least you know what they want.

As for friends, I make specialized gifts for them according to what I know about them. I have a friend going to UC Berkeley who is a chocoholic so I bought her chocolate themed items like mints and 5lbs of edible chocolate.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As opposed to the industrial grade chocolate used primarily as a de-icing agent in airports?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weapons-grade chocolate? The kind that terroristrs are always smuggling in action movies?

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, as opposed to cooking chocolate, which isn't something one would enjoy eating by itself...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps