Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Kazaa or Morpheus?

Author Topic: Kazaa or Morpheus?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is better?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Napigator, if you're talking about music-swapping servers.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I only use Morpheus, I believe they're basically the same programs on the same networks, only Morpheus can do more, IIRC. I've never used KaZaA, so I can't really say.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kazza == SPYWARE. Don't install, don't use.

Morpheus is pretty good.

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are referring to the virus released with the latest version of Kazaa, Charles, the problem has supposedly been fixed.

I have no first hand knowledge of this however.

Anyways, use Morpheus. Why? Its got a cooler name. [Smile]

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, CC wasn't referring to a virus. KaZaa is riddled with extra programs which are secretly installed (along with KZ) without one's knowledge or consent - there is no option to prevent this.

Now, these little parasites are what is commonly called "spyware": programs that run stealthily in the background, and are designed to collect personal data / websurfing statistics / the works. These bugs periodically send out whatever information they have obtained to the various companies responsible for their construction. What happens with the data at that point is anyone's guess.

This is a severe intrusion of privacy. Effectively, your PC is turned into a billboard for a never-ending stream of adds.

Visit www.lavasoftusa.com if you haven't already. Download the Ad-Aware utility to clean up your system. Remain vigilant. Don't trust free software - check the online database to see if it comes bundled with unwelcome visitors.

Morpheus is officialy spyware-free. It connects to more networks simultaneously, meaning a search will most likely produce more and quicker results. Avoid KaZaa like the plague.

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at his open KaZaa traffic page full of downloading Family Guy and DS9 episodes*

Well then...

My brother-in-law has already installed AdAware onto my computer like a month or so ago. Does that remove spyware automatically or do I have to run the program?

And how exactly do I run Morpheus with KaZaa? I click Morpheus and KaZaa opens up, even when I supposedly closed KaZaa!

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd only open one program at a time...if not your PC may crash. And before Morpheus and Kazaa, I had something else but it closed due to Morpheus and Kazaa screaming lawsuit.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's a catch: KaZaa no longer functions if you remove the spyware components. Your best bet is to get rid of K altogether, refresh your system registry, and then install Morpheus.

The reason K pops up when you try to run M is simple (and rather rediculous): both programs are essentially one and the same. M has a slightly different appearance, but internally it is exactly identical, right down to... the program handlers. That means that whenever you want to load up M, K takes precedence "because it was there first". It'd be the other way around if you had installed M before K.

[Edit] Yes, you have to execute the A-A program file. Laundry doesn't automatically get cleaned either if you put it in the washing machine - you still have to turn the thing on [Smile]

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Cartman ]

OnToMars
Member # 621

Unless I'm at home. Then it's automatic. [Smile]

And Morpheus was there first.

--------------------

OnToMars
Member # 621

OK, I've run AdAware three times to clean it out. I uninstalled KaZaa and tried Morpheus again. The reason I tried KaZaa in the first place was because Morpheus never produced any search results, no matter how specific I was with the query. I tried it again this afternoon, searching DS9 for a few minutes and then trying Family Guy. Over an hour and a half later and guess what? It still says, "Performing search, please wait..."! Fuckin' A, man.

Any advice, gentlemen?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, even if it were finding nothing, it should say "Search finished without any results". There must be another problem. Are you sure you're actually getting connected to a server? Down in the lower right-hand corner, does it say "Connecting...", or something to suggest you're already connected?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morpheus and Kazaa are one and the same. At least they connect to the same network, and version numbers are identical.

The difference is that Kazaa is spyware and installs 'bonus' programs that f#ck up Internet Explorer. Morpheus on the other hand only has a pop-up banner.

I use Direct Connect: http://www.neo-modus.com/

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use LimeWire, a Gnutella client, simply because it works and I'm too lazy to really look for anything different... it gets some good finds, even though i cant build very good gnets because i am stuck with 56K. I've become quite good at reconfiguring so i can leave it on with a DL list of 40 songs and have about 30 of them be successful and done by the time i wake up in the morning (and I'm even nice enough to share my music too, for those foolish enough to click on a 56K kid's music.. but it blocks people who try to grab my whole directory [or even do more than say 2 files at once])

i read on the limewire site about other gnutella clients that contain spyware, so im fairly sure that it is safe, but then again i am fairly naive when it comes to stuff like that.

i dont like the idea of spyware.. BTW what does the stuff that comes with kazaa do, specifically

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps