Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Top 10 Movies of 2001 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Top 10 Movies of 2001
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After Minority Report , Spielberg's next release will be called Catch Me If You Can .

Here's the summary from IMDb:
"An FBI agent tracks down and catches a young con artist who successfully impersonated an airline pilot, doctor, assistant attorney general and history professor, cashing more than $6 million in fraudulent checks in 26 countries."

Leonardo DiCaprio will be the con artist, Frank Abagnale Jr., and Tom Hanks will play the FBI agent, Joe Shaye (I think he's the FBI guy, the credits aren't clear). Sounds good to me. It's listed as being released in December of this year.

Spielberg was going to the adaptation of the novel Memoirs of a Geisha , but he's now going to do Indiana Jones 4 after Catch Me . Harrison Ford will star, along with Kate Capshaw. They have a title, but will not release it.

Anyway, that's what you get with a few minutes of research [Big Grin] ...

--------------------
Meh

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh! What is it with holiday seasons and big-name movies lately? It used to be mainly a release period for Academy Award-baiting arthouse type films and family-friendly fluff, but lately they've become packed with big-budget big-name epics. From Thanksgiving through Christmas there will be a potential #1 movie released every week next year, although Two Towers and Chamber of Secrets ought to hang on for multiple weeks. And don't forget a certain Star-something movie.

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November 22, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
After Minority Report , Spielberg's next release will be called Catch Me If You Can .

Here's the summary from IMDb:
"An FBI agent tracks down and catches a young con artist who successfully impersonated an airline pilot, doctor, assistant attorney general and history professor, cashing more than $6 million in fraudulent checks in 26 countries."

Leonardo DiCaprio will be the con artist, Frank Abagnale Jr., and Tom Hanks will play the FBI agent, Joe Shaye (I think he's the FBI guy, the credits aren't clear). Sounds good to me. It's listed as being released in December of this year.

Spielberg was going to the adaptation of the novel Memoirs of a Geisha , but he's now going to do Indiana Jones 4 after Catch Me . Harrison Ford will star, along with Kate Capshaw. They have a title, but will not release it.

Anyway, that's what you get with a few minutes of research [Big Grin] ...

They are going to do an adaptation of Memiors of a Geisha ??? Too bad. :-/

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I just had to dig up this post because I missed it while I was away from the internet.

A.I. was the only movie I saw the entire year, and I loved it. The ending makes perfect sense (well, except for the explanation of why they can only clone her for one day).

Those were not aliens, those were future Mechas (remember the line "One day, there will just be Mecha"?). The Mechas are the only things left alive on Earth. They have also become archeologists, and want to know of their past, which is why they were digging through the ice. They just happened to find David, still functioning, and it is from David, this child, that they will find out the story of how they began, and they will see it through a child's eyes.

Does that explain it?

Also, you can't say A.I. is Spielberg's attempt to make a 2001...since Kubrick started A.I.! He had been working on it for nearly a decade before he died, and the movie was already in pre-production. It was before Kubrick's death that he selected Spielberg to direct since he knew he himself couldn't do it anymore. In fact, the original actor to play David was supposed to be a REAL robot. Kubrick could never get one realistic enough for him, so he ditched the idea before his death.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you should have seen more movies.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was nothing else worth seeing.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kubrick had the idea. Worked on it somewhat. Then died.

Then Spielberg turned it into that waste of order, speeding us along to the Heat Death with nothing to show for it.

And you should've seen more movies. There were better things out there than A.I.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one is ever going to believe Spielberg made it the way Kubrick would have. In forming a point of view, you have several options available:-

1. Spielberg DID make it the way Kubrick intended. For the most part this merely cheapens Kubrick's memory, for many people.

2. Spielberg made the best effort he could, because at the time Kubrick died he wasn't any nearer to having a coherent film than he was when he started the project. What this does to your opinion of Spielberg in general, and this film in particular, is up to you.

3. Spielberg found himself unable to film it the way Kubrick wanted, and did the best he could. Spielberg is therefore found to be not one-tenth the filmmaker Kubrick was.

4. Spielberg just went ahead and made the film the same schmaltzy way he does everything, not giving a damn for Kubrick's intentions. Spielberg is a twat.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing else to see from last year? Eh?

Here is a list of all the films I saw for 2001. There plenty worth seeing in the bunch.

The Pledge
Snatch
Enemy at the Gates
When Brendan Met Trudy
the Tailor of Panama
Blow
Along Came a Spider
Amores Perros
Memento
Bridget Jones's Diary
A Night at McCool's
The Mummy Returns
Pearl Harbor
Shrek
Swordfish
A.I. Artifical Intelligence
Evolution
A Knight's Tale
Kiss of the Dragon
The Score
Leagally Blonde
Acpcalypse Now
Planet of the Apes
Made
Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Musketeer
The Others
The Deep End
Hearts in Atlantis
The Last Castle
Waking Life
The Man Who Wasn't There
Monster's Inc.
Spy Games
Harry Potter
Ocean's 11
The Royal Tenenbaums
Ali
A Beatiful Mind
Gosford Park
Monster's Ball
Lord of the Rings

I still, still need to see In The Bedroom.

And I think we all know that Spielberg is no Kubrick. The real problems with Spielberg is that he plays to the boxoffice and that often hurts his art.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:

The Pledge - Don't even remember this one
Snatch - eh, maybe...
Enemy at the Gates - Some cheap WWII movie made just so we can show off cheap "hot" moviestars
When Brendan Met Trudy - No clue
the Tailor of Panama - Nothing special looking
Blow - I actually did consider this one
Along Came a Spider - Never saw the "first one", so not worth seeing it
Amores Perros - No clue
Memento - Didn't look interesting
Bridget Jones's Diary - I hate her...
A Night at McCool's - Stupid comedy
The Mummy Returns - First one looked bad, this looked worse
Pearl Harbor - Not worth sitting through 3 hours of heartthrobs and inaccuracies
Shrek - Cartoon...
Swordfish - Lets just say the car looked the most interesting about this movie
A.I. Artifical Intelligence - My kind of movie
Evolution - Another stupid cheap comedy
A Knight's Tale - My sister likes it. Reason enough.
Kiss of the Dragon - Er. I can kick faster then you.
The Score - Don't remember this one
Leagally Blonde - Stupid, stupid, stupid
Acpcalypse Now - Already saw it the first version, not worth going back to the theater for so little
Planet of the Apes - Destruction of a classic
Made - No clue
Curse of the Jade Scorpion - Stupid comedy
Musketeer - Another cheap looking movie
The Others - Don't remember
The Deep End - Don't remember
Hearts in Atlantis - Don't remember
The Last Castle - Don't remember
Waking Life - Don't remember
The Man Who Wasn't There - Billy Bob is not an actor...
Monster's Inc. - Cartoon...
Spy Games - Don't Remember
Harry Potter - Rubbish
Ocean's 11 - Heart-Throb-O-Rama
The Royal Tenenbaums - eh, maybe...
Ali - This makes boxing look as realistic as Driven made auto racing look...
A Beatiful Mind - I hate that guy
Gosford Park - Don't remember
Monster's Ball - Billy Bob still can't act
Lord of the Rings - Rubbish

That's how I viewed the 2001 movie year...

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memento was the best film last year. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, 359. So much rage.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

I'm just looking for something more prolific to waste my $10 on.

Oh, and a movie missing from that list that I might actually have seen was Vanilla Sky. At least, I liked all the music they played on the commercials.

Mmmm....Chemical Brothers....

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should try a matinee.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps