Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » For Those StarCraft Fans Among Us ...

Author Topic: For Those StarCraft Fans Among Us ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... anyone played "Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds?"

I picked it up today. It's a good game, graphics aren't on par with SC, and you've got to mine FOUR different resources as opposed to two.

But, hey, those AT-ATs ... [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it is a really good game, bought it for my bro for christmas. Galactic Battlegrounds is actually based off of Age of Empires. It is a lot of fun.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, everything seems based on AoE... [Smile]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Total Annihilation.

(The term "RTS" was redefined by that game, not Starcraft. Pick up if it's the last thing you do.)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Snay, I was looking that the review on Gamespot.com...it looks very much like the Command and Conquer. Perhaps too much.

I think I'll try the demo out...if I like it maybe get it and run you all over the Star Wars virtual universe. [Wink]

[ January 26, 2002, 22:23: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(edit: Jay, this was regarding TA, and not SW:GB. Misread your previous post)

In terms of playing style, actually, it's quite different from C & C. Generally hands-off unit construction and battles involving oodles and oodles of units. Generally far more carnage than C&C or AoE. For its time it was technically masterful and lent itself to some pretty cool gameplay, but IMHO it never had the same degree of "character" that the C&C or Warcraft/Starcraft games, or even AoE, had.

[ January 27, 2002, 00:00: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Wars game is in fact just the Age of Empires II engine with Star Wars graphics and a few coding tweaks.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Thank you Simon. An authoritative review if ever there was one.

I might just have to get it to smite you Snayer. [Big Grin]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played the demo, It was ok but It just didnt feel new, its like a star wars skin for AoE2.

I'm happy enough with Empire Earth.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well SORRY. [Frown]

But you're welcome to smite me. Or try to, at least (although you'll probably suceed).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I tried out the demo Jeff.

I can't say that I liked it all that much. Not enough to buy it at this point (the little woman and I have purchased a digital television and spent soooo much money). Not to reflect on your enjoyment of the game, or reasons therefore, the gameplay seems of course derivative, but aslo a bit "cartoonish" too me as opposed to AoE. The colors seemed oddly muted as well.

So, to each his own I guess. [Smile]

All that and I recently purchased Civilization III (and have been busy destroying the Egyptians...unfortunatly Civ III doesn't have multiplayer capability at the moment) and Cossacks (perhaps you should try the demo of such...you might like it).

[ January 29, 2002, 20:13: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah, didn't I say I didn't like the graphics?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

You did mention that they weren't as good as SC, but then again, I don't have SC so I don't know what the graphics in SC look like.

I don't know, other than the music...which I thought was great...it just didn't strike a chord with me is all.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

The cool thing about Cossacks though is the huge numbers....up to 8,000...unlike Age of Empires where you got up to something like 200.

But it's pretty managable because you can put them into formations of Rank, Column or Square. Each formation has one type of unit and can be made with short-range combat units like the pikeman or the ranged unit, the musketeer. And each formation can have up to 196 units in it.

It's historical in nature and not sci-fi, but it's quite cool to have 2 massive armies made up of pikeman supported by a couple musketeer armies (I call the 196 unit formation armies, cause, well, I can) and those can be supported by artillery with cavalry watching the flanks.

Or to approach a fortified location and bombard the heck out of it with artillery then move your troops into the breach.

[ January 29, 2002, 23:30: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps