Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Where have I been?

Author Topic: Where have I been?
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hard drive failure a couple weeks ago. At first I thought it was because of my RAM, or sound card, or video card. Indeed this was not the case at all. The heart of the problem was in fact Windows 98. Apparently, Win98 can't handle more than 800mb of RAM when one of the dimms is a 512mb stick. Something to do with the vcache. So three weeks in the shop and a new video card and the best way to solve the problem was to just install windows 2000. What a kick in the pants.

Anyways I'm back, lets here a fanfare or something. I've got a lot of threads to catch up on.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean you were away? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that RAM is cheap, but what the hell are you doing where you require more than 800mb of memory?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saving up in case the tornado comes?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not doing so well either.

I have two sticks of 128 MB PC133 SDRAM, for a grand total of 256 MB (the norm these days).

If the two sticks are in one arrangement, Windows 98 screws up.

If the two sticks are in reverse order, Windows 2000 screws up.

Ugh.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna you sure the sticks are the same? When it goes through the memory check are you getting the correct amounts?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd install 512mb of RAM for insurance, unless you have a computer that comes with over 1000mb installed.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many things to look for when using RAM. Is it PC100(-8ns) or PC133(-7.5ns or -7ns)? If they're all of one kind, then is your BIOS clocked at that speed? Also, you'll need to check if its CAS2 or CAS3 RAM. If its mix, set the speed to PC100 and CAS3 and see if it works. It'll slow the performance a little, but it'll hopefully work better.

Why do I need so much RAM? I do a lot of digital video editing etc as well play lots of 3d intensive games, so RAM is important [Smile]

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are Infineon sticks of RAM. I am getting 229376 KB of Ram, but that is only because 32 MB (32768 KB) are being diverted to the onboard video.

One of them is newer than the other. It appears that it has one row of chips on one side compared to the older one, which has chips on both sides.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps