my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Tom Clancy/Terrorism

Author Topic: Tom Clancy/Terrorism
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I watch the Super Bowl, I am wondering about Tom Clancy and how some of his scenarios have come true. The similarities are amazing:

In the end of Clancy's book Debt of Honor , an a Japanese pilot intentionally slams his 747 into the Capitol building as Jack Ryan is being sworn in as Vice President. 900 people, including the President, are killed. In the next book, Executie Orders , a deadly strain of the Ebola virus is released on the US by an Arab terrorist. Very similar to recent events.

Now, what I'm wondering is, can the plots of some of his other books come true also? In the Sum of All Fears , Isralei terrorists explode a nuclear device at the Super Bowl in Denver. In Rainbow Six , terrorists plan to rid all life on the world by spreading a virus at the Sydney Olympics (outdated now, of course).

It's scary that Clancy's world and ours are now riding on simlar planes, and you just have to think what's to come.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it isn't like he's just pulling idea out of his ass and they somehow manage to all happen exactly the way he wrote them. His stories are based on stuff that's actually feasible. And considering that he's written a whole lot of books, and the only correlation any of them has to a real event is the general idea of a terrorist crashing an airliner into an American building (not even the right building, or the right nationality of terrorist), I don't see how anything even remotely resembling a pattern could be seen.

And an Arab terrorist releasing Ebola is pretty different than some random unidentified person/people mailing out anthrax in the wake of an attack by Arab terrorists.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all just bunk we all know the Super Bowl's most dangerous enemy has been and always will be the blimp.

[ February 03, 2002, 18:27: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless the team is the "Carnivores" and Jack in riding shotgun with the blimp pilot.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Isralei terrorists
Uh ... weren't they Palestinians with a lost Israeli nuke?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake. Read the book a year ago.

--------------------
Meh

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps