Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The origin of F**k (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The origin of F**k
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently heard this explanation for the origin of the the word "fuck":

"In ancient England, people couldn't have sex without the King's consent (except if the person was a member of the royal family). When people wanted to have a child, they had to ask for permission from the King, who gave them a plaque to be hung outside over the door while they were having "love encounters". On the plaque was written: " Fornication Under Consent of the King" (F.U.C.K.)."

Has anyone here heard of this before. Is it true?

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it was the Puritans in the early American times hanging a plaque around peoples heads in the stocks.....
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Same place Sammy Hager or Van Halen got the name of that album......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is anther useless fact.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone remembers the wav file that went around, it comes from the German word "to strike." Flichen or something like that. that Fornication under consent of King is just silly.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_268b.html
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a useless fact. Useless, yes. Fact, no. For one thing, if people were married, they couldn't possibly fornicate w/ each other. Fornication, by definition, is sex between people who aren't married to each other.

Read what Snopes have to say about it.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be just a once common verb..... like shit, both can be conjugated....

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another useless fact: the first movie to use this word was M*A*S*H* , in 1970.

--------------------
Meh

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of the origins of fuck, "fuccant", was encoded in the Canterbury Tales. I remember coming across that fact last year, but not sure if that's where I got it.

Oh, when I said "encoded" I meant the word looks like gibberish until you deciphered it. Or read the footnote.

[ February 04, 2002, 15:12: Message edited by: Tora Ziyal ]

--------------------
life creation in progress

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
bang, batter, beef, bumble, blow off the loose corns, bounce the brillo, dance the buttock jig, do a dive in the dark, flimp, flurgle, foin, foraminate, futz, get one's leather stretched, get one's nuts cracked, get one's oil changed, go bird's nesting, go bush-ranging, go like a rat up a rhododendron, go star-gazing on one's back, have a bun in the oven, have a game in the cock-loft, have a leap up the ladder, have hot pudding for supper, hide the ferret, hide the salami, hide the sausage, hive it, jazz it, knock it off, lay some pipe, light the lamp, lose the lamp and pocket the stake, make her grunt, mix one's peanut butter, palliardize, pestle, pheeze, pizzle, play cars and garages, plow, plug, plook, ram, rasp, ride below the crupper, shoot between wind and water, strop one's beak, varnish one's cane, wet one's wick, wind the clock, and work the hairy oracle
Well, fuck me. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

The expression fuck me running always makes my sister-in-law laugh her ass off..... which takes a fuck of a lot of laughing.....

Two or three trips to all ass......

--------------------

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard multiple theories on it's origin, but for lack of concrete evidence, my vote just goes to my favorite:

In the dark ages, "to fuck" meant to plant the seeds in a field. Presuming that most people were farmers and such, this sounds perfectly reasonable. But it's only my favorite. I have no proof.

Now, it's my favorite because I can so easily see some rustic type proudly proclaiming over breakfast:

"Time to go Fuck the field!" Or "It's a good day for Fucking, Wot?" [Big Grin]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...go star-gazing on one's back..."

As opposed to stargazing on one's front, which is how it's normally done?

"...have a bun in the oven..."

I'm pretty sure this is what happens later...

"...go like a rat up a rhododendron..."

I like this one. :-)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: bang, batter, beef, bumble, blow off the loose corns, bounce the brillo, dance the buttock jig, do a dive in the dark, flimp, flurgle, foin, foraminate, futz, get one's leather stretched, get one's nuts cracked, get one's oil changed, go bird's nesting, go bush-ranging, go like a rat up a rhododendron, go star-gazing on one's back, have a bun in the oven, have a game in the cock-loft, have a leap up the ladder, have hot pudding for supper, hide the ferret, hide the salami, hide the sausage, hive it, jazz it, knock it off, lay some pipe, light the lamp, lose the lamp and pocket the stake, make her grunt, mix one's peanut butter, palliardize, pestle, pheeze, pizzle, play cars and garages, plow, plug, plook, ram, rasp, ride below the crupper, shoot between wind and water, strop one's beak, varnish one's cane, wet one's wick, wind the clock, and work the hairy oracle

I'm aghast you got all that out of Canterbury Tales, Lee.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I got it from the Straight Dope link. Or maybe from the Snopes link, I'm sure Tim will set me straight. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps