Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Olympics

Author Topic: Olympics
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am leaving town for the weekend, so no computer access, so I thought I would get the chant started and the rest of you can continue for me.

GO CANADA GO
GO CANADA GO
GO CANADA GO
GO CANADA GO
GO CANADA GO

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without Patrick Roy, they don't stand a chance.

Team Canada hasn't won a Hockey gold medal since 1952, so why does everyone fling the snowy beaver tail of expectation every four years, only to wallow in a sticky pile of tears and maple syrup when the games come to a close.

Russia, this year my friends.

(Yeah, this is only about Hockey. What other events are in the Winter Olympics anyway? Sledding while wearing silly pants? Being Cold? Whoopme.)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goaltending is indeed Canada's weak spot, but, fuck, aside from that the team is flawless. Utterly flawless. If we lose (NB: in Canada, lose = not get gold) this year, well, I imagine the team will be dragged through the streets Mogadishu-style.

And the real reason Canada hasn't won Olympic gold since 1952 is that we'd only ever put teams of minor-leaguers vs. the best of Europe up until Nagano. When the best of Canada was in action against the best of Europe, we've generally kicked ass. Because we need something, aside from Curling and Speed Skating, to kick ass at.

Hey, you European sorts! Want to watch really, really high-quality talent-rich fast hockey? Watch the Olympic tournament. T'is gonna rock.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"ey, you European sorts! Want to watch really, really high-quality talent-rich fast hockey?"

Because it's played in European-style rinks, with European-Style rules with European-style teams from Europe playing their skill ad finesse game?

Tough and nitty works in the Eastern Coferece, but it's not going to take you far in the Olympic game with no corners and no red line.

North America as the hockey center of the world has been dead since '92.

Nope. Russia takes it. Although, I'm pulling for the Swedes.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to our European non-hockey watching forumites, actually, UM. I probably should have said Brits.

And yeah, International-sized ice is better.

[ February 09, 2002, 13:52: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps