Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » stepping outside

Author Topic: stepping outside
Manji
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of us, at one point or another, make a list of things to do in the course of our lives. Three weeks ago I was able to cross off the activity at the top of mine.
I went skydiving. I signed up for the prejump class, and after spending a half day dangling from the hanger celing. Learning how to position my body for the trip down. and safty measures to take in case the main parachute doesn't open (There is a backup, but if that fails too...) And the most important thing, how not to break your legs while landing. There were six of us in that class.
Afterwards I was handed a green jumpsuit and a helmet. We boarded the small plane and left for the skies. There was no backing out now. Enroute to 15,000' I was harnessed to my instructer for my first jump. For Dave and Karen, two of my classmates, this was their 3rd jump and they were going solo.
Jeff, my instructer, and I moved to the door. We had reached our destination. As we pushed ourselves from the plane, I was rolled over so I had a view of the plane shrinking away, then we flipped to face down with arms out, falling.
Even now nearly three weeks later I find it hard to describe the feeling, I ... I loved it. It was a moment of absolute freedom, everything became clear, almost peaceful except for the noise-the rush of the wind past us. When the 'chute poped there was a instant where it seemed like we had reached the end of a leash and were jerked back. After that the ride was very peaceful.
All too soon we landed, and the dream was over, for now. As I stood there waiting for my other classmates to float down, I looked up and vowed I would do this again.

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Manj. That is one of my ambitions as well, I hope to do it this year, if possible.

I imagine the andrenaline and endorphins gives you a fat hard-on or something. [Smile]
Seriously, to do something like that for the first time must be like the ultimate contradiction to self-preservation for our sub-conscious, reptile-side of ze brain.

I was amused by your choice of thread-name as well, as you both "stepped outside" of your plane and also your own "comfort-zone". Such things are rewarded.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a feeling unlike any other (bungee-jumping comes close, but you don't experience quite the same level of freedom). I am glad I've been able to scratch it off my own "to-do" list. Next up: paragliding in the Alps [Smile]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I imagine the andrenaline and endorphins gives you a fat hard-on or something."

I imagine that, if adrenaline had that effect, the entire "fight or flight" priniciple would be voided, since you'd have a difficult time doing either.

Though I suppose it could be handy in certain situations.

mugger: *jumping out of shadows* "Gimme your wallet!"
you: "Eep!" *SPROING!*
mugger: "Erm... Ah... Yeah, uh... Never mind. I'll just, um... I'll just go now. Yeah..."

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, arousal is actually controlled by the parasympathic nervous system, which is actually responsible for calming oneself.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Pos_21
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Believe it or not, arousal is actually controlled by the parasympathic nervous system, which is actually responsible for calming oneself.

or lack ther of, mister templar
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps