Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A Monkeywrench in the Machine of Life

Author Topic: A Monkeywrench in the Machine of Life
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning, I was called into my Boss's office and was handed my termination papers. Officially, I am being laid off.

This does not come as a surprise to me. I handle correspondence between my employer and a client in the States. A few months ago, that client was bought up by a much bigger company. Since then work from that client has dwindled to almost nothing. Disputes over payment for work completed are almost on a daily basis.

Our contract with that company was terminated over the weekend. I have been given two weeks notice, so all is not lost, yet.

Off I go, watch my smoke......

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that. That sucks big time.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've spent some time assessing my situation.

I have about $1000 in a fund that should help pay for some of the expenses.

Because I have been working for the same company for the last 1.5 years, I am eligible for Employment insurance. It appears that for the next few months, I am eligible to receive what amounts to be 55% of my weekly salary. That's about $190 a week, making it about $760 a month. I do not know if taxes are further deducted from this amount, I sure hope not. Rent and other associated expenses are set to swallow more than $500 a month. Thus, I have got to tread carefully.

After some poking around, I have found several possible options if looking for a job fails to yield any tangible results:
  • The College I graduated from offers a Co-Op program that will place me with a company providing a related discipline in order for me to get some real life experience. Unfortunately, I do not get paid for my time there. There are questions as to whether or not associated expenses such as lunch and transportation are covered. I need to speak with the Placement coordinator about this.
  • I found out about a company seeking volunteers to test out a game. A possibility right there. And they would be willing to write me a letter of reference provided everything goes well.
  • I could do some freelance work fixing some computer problems, but I really do not know if it is feasible. After all, I was unable to fix my roommate's DSL connection.
  • Someone told me about a pharmaceutical company seeking volunteers to test out some medications. No details are available yet, but I have been told that these are very mild medications for more common ailments and nutritional supplements. I've also been told that compensation is very generous, about $4200. Worth checking out for the money, but I'm a little squeamish about being a Human Guinea Pig.

I'll have to see what goes on. Living alone and not working does not simple a life make.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure don't. Best o' luck, Tahna.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Someone told me about a pharmaceutical company seeking volunteers to test out some medications. No details are available yet, but I have been told that these are very mild medications for more common ailments and nutritional supplements. I've also been told that compensation is very generous, about $4200. Worth checking out for the money, but I'm a little squeamish about being a Human Guinea Pig.

Skip that one. How would you like to have been one of the test subjects for the two Phen Phen drugs. Lawyers are having a field day now.

If I recall corectly, you live in Canada.
They don't with hold taxes on unemployment insurence here in the USA, but I don't know about Canada.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure you'd fall below the minimum line, Tahna, and pay no income tax.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Kosh: I don't know much about it. My friend says it is almost harmless. We're talking about simple drugs, not antibiotics and the Anthrax vaccine. They ask volunteers to undergo a medical regimen in order to know the effects of the drug and blah blah. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea, but I'm strapped for cash.

Tom: No I don't. Because I was in full time evening school last year, the tax credit basically gives me all my taxes back. As a result, I had the option of paying no tax deduction, which I did. That's all I'll be able to get.

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, if you're lucky, you end up in the control group. Placebos-R-Us.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps