Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Alphabet Soup

Author Topic: Alphabet Soup
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When ABC started it was the youngest and least sucessful of the networks. Then they began to rise with epic events such as Roots and series such as Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and The Odd Couple. Now they are back at the bottom of the ratings bin and it seems that it is a hole they can't get out of.

Where did ABC go wrong? It seems the continous airings of Millionare grew old and with aging shows such NYPD Blue people just stopped tuning in. Another factor could be the Mouse. I think we've had enough of Disney. Last years less than stellar box office proves it.

Talk amongst yourselves. Here's a topic.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larry King!
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2nd rate networks (UPN and WB) are stealing ratings would be my guess. ABC has nothing to counter the onslaught of the teenie-bopper shows on the WB.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one good ABC show, Alias. I love the whole spy thing and continuing story. Kinda reminds me of La Femme Nikita.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to look at their target ages. CBS is the "old folks network," built upon things like "Murder, She Drooled" & "Dick Van Dyke: Diabolic Diagnostician of Doom." NBC went more for the upper end of "Generation X," while ABC wants the more traditional "family" part. Problem is, that "family" has been dead in the water & nonexistent for aeons. Notice they're running Bond on Saturdays now? No doubt it's to tap into the "parents/grandparents sharing something of their youth with the kids" vibe. Granted it works a bit: I saw all the Bond flicks with my dad, so...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Fox started becoming a network that people watched, it threw everything out of whack.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially when they started airing the quality programs they run now. Hidden Camera: When Cutlery doesn't cut it, or The Dangers of the DMV, or Sweaty Skank-Whores in a place where they can Sweat lots and be naked with other sweaty sexy skank-whores in thongs XXIV: The Masturbatoy Edition,or When Geriatrics Attack 10!. No wonder it stole the ratings away from ABC. Whose Line Is It Anyway?, more like Whose lack of Sweaty Skank-whores is it anyway? ABC's is who.

[ February 12, 2002, 10:05: Message edited by: Ultra Magnus ]

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Actually ABC wanted to get rid of the family quality shows. They showed this when they killed TGIF with an NBC Thursday style line up. I enjoyed the shows but it seems few others did. Now their schedule is virtually empty except for Millionare and Alias.

--------------------

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Notice they're running Bond on Saturdays now? No doubt it's to tap into the "parents/grandparents sharing something of their youth with the kids" vibe. Granted it works a bit: I saw all the Bond flicks with my dad, so...

I love all the bond flicks. We go to our cabin on the weekend and we basically only get ABC. so i like being able to sit on the fireplace and watch bond flicks on saturday during the cold dark winter......

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops. my bad. I was thinking about CTV. I think we still get ABC though, I can't remember.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Bond Saturday show on ABC will be on for a while...I hope until all the movies are shown. Anyway, ABC should try to find shows that people will watch...they already have Jenifer Gardner and Alias but they need more than that every Sunday.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back a few years ago, well, several years ago...

OK, when I was a kid, about 25 to 30 years ago, CBS was number one, with shows like, The Beverly Hillbillys, Peticoat Junction and Green Acres, but some one at the network decided they had to much of a hick (think Jethro, or Eb) image, so they cancelled all three of those shows, even though they were still strong in the rateings. Took them some time to recover, and they didn't have the compitition that networks face today. I all runs in cycles, ABC will make a come back. They may even make something that I will watch. Right now, all I'm watching is Enterprise and Buffy. Not one single show from the other networks. I think I spend more time with the History Channel and the Learning Channel, then any of the others. I watch Farscape when it's new, but that is a rare animal.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Another sign that ABC is in trouble is that starting Tuesday they are running the same programs everyday. Either this is a strange marketing ploy or they have nothing else to show.

--------------------

-----------------
The West Wing

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Another sign that ABC is in trouble is that starting Tuesday they are running the same programs everyday. Either this is a strange marketing ploy or they have nothing else to show.

--------------------

-----------------
The West Wing

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps