Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Aging Action

Author Topic: Aging Action
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are the next generation of action stars coming from? Bruce Willis, Jackie Chan, Jet Li are in their forties. Gibson, Schwartzanegger, Stallone are in the fities. All the rest are over 50. The front runners seem to be Vin Diesel and Josh Hartnett. Ben Affleck may become one in the next Jack Ryan film. Where have all the action stars gone?

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they all went to the Infermery or Sickbay. For all we know, it won't be action stars that will be men; they could turn out to be women.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We break new ground all the time, we can n-e-v-e-r go back.
The movie business started in the 1920's and has never stopped transforming, most probably will never stop.
James Bond, Star Wars, Mad Max and Bruce Lee could only be new once.
Sure, you can go retro, but only in shortlived spasms.
The western movie industry is too demanding to keep up with one trend more than 20-30 years (with trend I mean a specific way to depict the basic genres).
Action, drama and horror will be here but it never stays the same.

How Bollywood keeps up with their conservative dance-melodramas is beyond me.

So it's kind of sad, I'm starting to relate to how it feels to feel old, when things/people you grew up knowing and hearing about get old or die, replaced by something you don't like.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Angelina Jolie seems to be muscling in on the action film industry as Lara Croft. Maybe that's an indicaiton of things to come?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Well, Angelina Jolie seems to be muscling in on the action film industry as Lara Croft. Maybe that's an indicaiton of things to come?

Sure! Why not? there've been tons of James Bond movies, maybe the trend will turn towards female action stars. who rescue guys in distress...Gee whatta turn-around that'll be.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...James Bond in a love scene or Angelina Jolie... like I give a DAMM!!! I want something exploding.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane Bond...?
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Vin Diesel's next film Three X ( parental controls) is supposed to be Bond for the next generation.

--------------------

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Vin Diesel's next film Three X ( parental controls) is supposed to be Bond for the next generation.

--------------------

-----------------
The West Wing

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps