Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Please expand my audiophillic horizons

Author Topic: Please expand my audiophillic horizons
Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've mostly just put up with alternative/pop for the last decade. Most of which I've heard over the radio.

Therin you can see my mistake.

The radio is possibey the crappiest way to discover new music. I would expand my horizons if I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately for me I don't. I've heard a few sound-bytes posted by various poeple here over the last few months/years that I rather liked, and I was hoping I could turn to y'all for some recommendations?

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's always the old stalwarts of music history:

If you're more into the mp3/independent artist scene, there's more than enough out there, and there's somethig for everyone:
Be sure to check out The Worst of The Worst for more excellent tunes!

[ February 15, 2002, 23:48: Message edited by: Ultra Magnus ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.epitonic.com has free downloads of a lot of up and coming bands.. the best parts are the search and sound-like feature. If there's a band you like now, type it into a site with a sounds-like menu, and it gives you a bunch of bands that are along the same lines as the band you know.

otherwise, see some shows (or actually all you have to do is search what shows are going on near you, help familiarize yourself with whats popular in the various scenes near where you are -- local music is always a great thing) I dont know how exactly it is in other cities, but Providence is pretty cool for new music, with not only the usual crop of DJs and techno shenanigans, but bands like Bridges Fell, Bob's Day Off, The Crowns, The Agents, Gruvis Malt

Also, go on a filesharing or on a search engine and search for covers, a lot of bands i like i got introduced to because they covered a song i like (Hippos, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes, Less Than Jake, Save Ferris, Fountains of Wayne, Tenacious D [i knew about them before they came to school!])

Im trying to stay retro-informed too.. picking an older group that you may know a song from, then checking out their other stuff that no one ever heard is rewarding. I never realized how much i liked Soul Asylum until i really got into their older stuff.

Im really impressed with my friends lately, because they have hooked me up with some good music Get Up Kids, Braid, Leatherface, Jimmy Eat World, Cursive, The Faint

You gotta look up The Faint.

And even on the web, finding new artists is unbelievable. There is one mini album i downloaded based on the fact the i found the guys mp3.com page while searching for 'Broken Bow OK' (he's the only mp3.com artist from the real city of Broken Bow, OK. And the Laziest Men on Mars, from that 'All Your Base' nonsense. You must see 'The Terrible Secret of Space'

And you must listen to Shatner's Transformed Man. it changed me. and Mr. Spocks Outer Space albums 60's pop Trek theme version. and Tenacious D doing GR's lyrics to the Trek theme.

ok ill take a breather

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try: Four Tet Pause

Initial national exposure came in a fuckstick Nike (JUST D'oh IT!)commercial, but everybody makes mistakes. Smooth and mellow, like sex with a learned mistress.

Also try: Non-American. Some of it is suprisingly good. Such as a fella name of Sigur Ros. It's purty music for the neo-mystic hipster in all of us. Free your mind! Free it, I say!
Use the power of the net to find good shit!

Preferably Excellent noise that doesn't sound like what you're used to. Trust me on this. It's worth the search. It'll broaden your horizens and take that dreadful curve out of your spine.

Hmmm. I got my new anti-realities today. Don't mind me. (What the fuck does that label mean: Don't take after sex?)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcriminal84:
Also try: Non-American. Some of it is suprisingly good. Such as a fella name of Sigur Ros. It's purty music for the neo-mystic hipster in all of us.

The BAND is Sigur R�s. HIS name is J�n �orsson or something like that. But yeah, they=teh r0xx0rz.

More candidates:
  • "Grace," Jeff Buckley. Perfect for those mindbogglingly emotional moments we all have & if you've EVER had problems in love, you'll realte to a lot of it.
  • "Plutonium Glow" or "Make You Love," Vanessa Daou. Sultry voice, incredibly sexy body, the woman simple IS sexuality. "Plutonium Glow" is a good starter, "Make You Love" is a great make-out & sex album...& it's all love songs to a girl named Juliette. Her cover of "I Would For You" by Jane's Addiction on that album is fucking inCREDible.

• "Designing A Nervous Breakdown," The Anniversary; "Clarity," Jimmy Eat World; "Emotion Is Dead," The Juliana Theory. Hardrocking yumminess made for dman good energy.

• "Carmina Burana," Carl Orff. 58 minutes of mindbending 12th-century lyrics written in dead languages by monks about the subjects of eating, drinking, living, & loving. Can't go wrong with that.
I've also taken to doing music reviews, & although I haven't done them in a while due to general nonblog site neglect, I'm attempting to do at least 2 new reviews a week. Woot.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, I sarcastical, see? but I suppose that could've been lost, what with me not taking any pains to point it out or anything. (Cause they're not American? Fuck, I don't know.)

Do that mean, sir, that Moby ain't really Moby, but Metallica a fella named Metallica?

They make purty muzak too, for the groovy funk head throbbing down on a metal beat inside of all of us too.

eh.

I thought it was funny at the time.

As a side note, I really am mentally fucked today. Don't mind my stupidity, if you please.

BAck to the music, try: Orb.

You'll like it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to listen to the theme from Doogie Howser MD

[ February 18, 2002, 13:37: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Member # 480

good tune. Mix it in Acid, along with soundbites from Poltergeist. It's fun.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some songs I've been listening to a lot lately, which you may or may not like, in a format consisting of song title followed by artist:

Jenny and the Ess-Dog, Stephen Malkmus
Fell in Love With a Girl, White Stripes
Bad Days, The Flaming Lips
A Life of Possibilities, Dismemberment Plan
Jane, Elf Power

I also really like "A Man's Life Flashing Before His Eyes While He And His Wife Drive Off A Cliff Into The Ocean" by Of Montreal, but as it is both a bit twee and self-indulgently surrealistic ("I heard a human voice / in an adding machine / and my brain slipped out of my ear / which made it hard to hear") I can't really recommend it for general consumption.

Unless you like that sort of thing.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps