Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Damn Olympics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Damn Olympics
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We pause now for a moment of time-honoured Canadianism. The others may ignore or point and laugh.

Coaches:
Bowman's a bit of an egomaniac. He works fine when he can settle in over an NHL season with a team and is basically the boss. But don't expect him to work well with highly-qualified assistants or snap into a good routine overnight.

That said, Quinn's still a useless git. He's a definite weak spot. He sucked in Vancouver, and I wouldn't chalk the success of Toronto to him, either.

Goaltenders aside, I can't honestly say any so-called hockey experts would have asked for a different team. The talking heads lined up in adulation over the picks, with the only question mark being Nieuwendyk (who's spited the critics and been one of the better players at the tournament.) Yes, it would be nice to have Thornton, too, but when the selections were announced, he wasn't on the radar. Life's not fair. The problems thus far have nothing to do with talent and everything to do with severe chemistry problems. Considering there was actually some fancy no-look passing vs. the Czechs, I'd say that's made a marked improvement.

Goalies, yeah, a mess. Cujo IS overrated, and were it not for Brodeur's play against the Czechs, I'd be less than enthusiastic about him. (Although his puckhandling is a brilliant asset on the big ice.) Belfour's a useless tool except when the pressure's on, so I can sorta grasp the logic of having him. Burke might've been better. But Thibault's got zippo experience when it comes to the pressure being on. Which brings us to St. Patrick. If Roy didn't want to be there, then its for the best he didn't come along. But I still wish he was there. He's the best goalie in the world, but he's also an arrogant asshole.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But don't expect [Bowman] to work well with highly-qualified assistants."

It's not like he wouldn't have had any with the Olympic Team. I could see him with Robinson as an aide.

"Quinn's still a useless git."

He's always struck me as the kind of coach who coaches the team his son plays on, and then starts him every single game. He's ruined the Canucks, who only now are resurfacing with the help of Crawford, and after this season, he'll have ruined his Leafs. Ever since he was named coach, he's been playing favorites, and I knew from the minute he was named coach, Patrick Roy wouldn't be given the obvious role of starter, instead it would have equal chance of falling to CuJo.

"Although [Brodeur's] puckhandling is a brilliant asset on the big ice."

I suppose we can score one for Marty here, over the less-than-obvious benefit of Roy's stick skills.

"But Thibault's got zippo experience when it comes to the pressure being on."

I wouldn't want Jocelyn there either, but for a young guy like Theodore, I think replacing Belfour in the stands with Jose in the stands would, at the very least, let the kid see what the big time is like.

"Which brings us to St. Patrick...He's the best goalie in the world, but he's also an arrogant asshole."

Which is why he's been my favorite goalie since I was six. Hell, he's been my favorite player since I was six. I have Montreal Home & Away Jerseys with #33 on them. Same goes with Colorado. I just got their alternate with #33 last month. I have about a thousand hockey cards of the guy, and although I've stopped being utterly fanatic, I still think he's the best. Ever.

He's not arrogant without reason, and when the Canadian squad was so liberal with the guarateed spots of playes like oft-injured Lemieux and Kariya, when they said "Okay, you're on the team. No need to tryout. Go ahead."

When they turned around, with Quinn wanting to increase the stock of his No. #1 Unrestricted Free Agent, and said "Well, with the goalies, let's see who has the hot hand." I think Roy's mentality was "Hey, I'm the best big game goaltender ever, I don't need to tryout, nor do I want to.".

Ever since they guaranteed a spot to a guy like Fleury and not to the best pressure goalie in the sport (The Olympics are only *slightly* like a playoff), I've been rooting for Germany, first and Sweden second. Although the US has the power. Wow.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally, i have never understood why the canadians are always the favorites in the olympics. you would think that after 50 odd years of not winning the gold people would become less optimistic. however, the women managed to win the gold last night. nothing against women's sports, but man is women's hockey boring! so slow, and the shots are slow, and everything is slow, and nobody falls down. my girlfriend and her female room mates thought it was boring too, so i'm not just some kind of pig. perosonally, i couldn
t care less about alias or buffy or any of the other stupid shows people are missing. i don't get to see law and order but i don't cry about it.

[rant] the winter olympics isn't just about scandanavian sports. all the cool skiing is calledalpine skiing, afterall. and man is short track awesome! i just wish that the whole figure skating debacle hadn't convinced everyone that they could get results changed (the south koreans are suing the austrailian ref from the 1500 meter short track event in us district court, for dog's sake!). in my opinion, if the russians and the south koreans want to leave the games, let them. no body cares, and it would be nice to see another country win the pairs figure skating. and the italian short track speed skater needs to be beaten after his remark that apollo anton ohno needed to be shot (sorry you sucked, mr italian, but shooting ohno isn't going to get you out of last place). [/rant] winter olympics=good.

--jacob

IP: Logged
StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an entire two weeks of TV viewing every two years. wow. You know it's gonna happen every two years, it has my entire life, yours too. Either sit back and enjoy seeing stuff you don't normally see on TV, or rent/borrow DVDs/movies. Or, here is another option...go outside the house... *nodnodnod*

-Dawn, who doesn't see much TV anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a discussion about the Olympics on CNN's Inside Politics. Apparently, the Russians, the people of Ukraine, and the South Koreans are alleging that there is unfair bais to the North Americans by the IOC. Ever since the disagreement over the pairs figure skating last week, these Olympics have been mired in controversy. Though I do have to wonder, is the complaining a way that these countries can express their feelings about America's foreign policy and the Olympics are a safe venue in which to vent?

[ February 22, 2002, 13:45: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No they seem to be more pissed at us Canadians.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck Canada. Bunch of Nutmeggers, anyway.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, anyone who watched knows that hughs clearly one (slutskaya's scores were WAY too high as it was!) and ohno was clearly fouled in short track. the russians don't seem to realize that the canadians got to share gold in pairs becuase THEY DESERVED TO WIN GOLD IN THE FIRST PLACE. if you suck, you don't win unless you cheat. compared to hughs, slutskaya sucked. and because of the controversy over the pairs, no-one cheated. the russians are also complaining about the current president of the olympic committee (the old one was an ambassador to the USSR and just loves the russians) so basically the russians are complaining that they don't win everything automatically. bastards. and as if the rest of the world needs to embarrass them. they do that job fine by themselves. i'm sick of the complaining, especially with stuff that was obviously judged correctly.

--jacob

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do'h"ble post

[ February 22, 2002, 14:27: Message edited by: USS Vanguard ]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Canada is pretty lame. After all, Ralph Wiggum was the Canadian representative for Springfield Elementary's Model UN. RALPH WIGGUM! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has to be the dirtiest Games I've seen in a long time. Loads of highly-dubious judging decisions whichg always seem to favour the US or Canada, strangely enough. And the only one that didn't caused a major fucking international incident. I expect the official complaint by Canada about not getting that Women's Curling Gold, a sport which they're the only country to take seriously, to be made any time now. The US spectators have turned patriotic fervour into outright jingoism.

On the other hand, did you see that Venezuelan in the Women's Luge? That was fun. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would point out VP that Canada only complained about one sport and the US as far as I know has complained about none. And the one in which Canada complained, the French Judge admitted to the ISU that she had been pressured to vote a certain way by her governing body. I would think that, that was a legitimate complaint. And It was the ISU which, once it had the evidence, that recommended to the Olympic commitee to award the double gold. Why would you say that Canada would protest the curling gold? The team from Canada lost graciously and congratulated the British team. I'll even bet you that more Canadians watched the British team win the gold metal than Brits did. We are not sore losers when the game is fair but we hate to be cheated.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StarFire:
rent/borrow DVDs/movies.

Yep. Today I bought a bunch of DVDs. The Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide, Top Gun, X-Men, The Matrix, True Lies, Babylon 5: The Gathering/In the Beginning, Men in Black.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, where was The Rock: Criterion Collection or The Long Kiss Goodnight?

And please tell me you're still going to pick up Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and The Musketeer this Tuesday?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have The Rock, regular edition.

Yes, I will be getting Jay and Silent Bob.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=hobbes

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps