Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh Canada!!!!! x 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oh Canada!!!!! x 2
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Olympic Women's Gold Medal Hockey Game: Canada wins against the U.S. 3-2. That was on Thursday.

Olympic Men's Gold Medal Hockey Game: Canada wins against the U.S. 5-2. Just finished over an hour ago.

CANADA WINS DOUBLE GOLD!!! WHOO HOO!!

[ February 24, 2002, 15:46: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunch of Nutmeggers.

Whoop.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you all were so upset about the curling, the rest of the world got together and thought they'd try to give you something, at least. . . 8)

Kidding. Congrats, and heartily deserved. It was a really good game, that.

But. . . The American team, Christ what a bunch of sore fucking losers. All the thousands of other athletes who came from all over the world, did their personal best, yet never got anywhere near getting a podium place, let alone a Silver, would probably have been up there quite happily instead of the Group Sulk that the US team got going.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. We were chuffed simply to get a bronze in a skiing event.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't even know that there was Winter in England. Hmm. The things you learn.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just roused myself from the kind of drunken stupor that leads to the whole Bob & Doug McKenzie-esque stereotyping of Canadians. But man, oh man.

Best.

Game.

Ever.

Fuckinghellyeah. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!

and just for some icing on the cake I found this in the Toronto Star
quote:
Thus did the ice-making team at the E Center � brought down from Canada because of their expertise in such matters � plant just a bit of luck, a bit of a charm, right into the ice surface itself: a single loonie, buried at centre ice, hardly visible above the surface.
Thanks for letting us make the ice.

[ February 25, 2002, 06:37: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming 'loonie' in this context doesn't mean a mental patient.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the american team soar losers for sulking? what about other countries who created international scandals or threatened to pull out of the games when they didn't win? i don't think that being down after you expect to win constitutes being a sore loser. if anything, the US team has been a very good sport when it comes to not winning expected gold. besides, if there had been a US coin under the center ice the US would have won womens and mens gold in hockey. fucking cheaters. the "loonie" probably had an anti-american subspace field or something [Big Grin] . good game by the way, and congrats. it's nice that the US conquered the bobsled drought and canada conquered the hockey drought.

--jacob

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Lee, if you'd compare the reaction of the American men to the American women, they were downright sportsmanlike. Sulkiness reigned supreme when our ladies whupped their butts the other day.

Loonie.

Oh, and one idle question... did the telecast of the game over there just reuse North American commentators, or did the TV channel go out and find the only two Brits who knew enough about ice hockey to do good play-by-play?

[ February 25, 2002, 08:47: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard that the loonie was dug out and was give to Wayne and will reside in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

--------------------
M. Burns

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is the other side of that coin silver with gold in the middle? there was a picture of the coin that was under the center ice on NBC, and it was definitely sliver with gold in the middle.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Grokca
Member # 722

Perhaps it was a toonie then? A two dollar coin.

As for the Americans being sore lossers I would say you couldn't have been farther from the truth.
I think they played a fine game and the American press has had nothing but praise for the Canadian team today.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/olympics/39535.htm

This has been echoed in every sports article I have read in the American press.

--------------------
M. Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

And now that the Hockey gold metals are ours, the rest of this plan will now unfold
http://www.standonguard.com/index2.html

--------------------
M. Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Gretz showed off a loonie after the game, anyway.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps